HB estate

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

HB estate

Postby Johnboy HB » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:24 pm

Here's what my tailgate looks like, as you can see, there's more fresh air than metal at the bottom & that's without all the mesh, filler, aluminium tape & anything else that's still holding it together, ideally a better tailgate would be the best alternative, but with more chance of getting hens teeth, I'm going to have to repair it, first thought is to cut a section off a bootlid & graft that on, sizing them both up, it looks like a viable option so that looks like the way forward, wish me luck :shock:
Last edited by Johnboy HB on Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: HB estate tailgate

Postby Paul Dawson » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:49 pm

You're a brave man - but I guess your options are a bit limited. Good luck with it. Lots of photos please - I love seeing how people tackle jobs like this.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:23 pm

I'll be watching too - the original tailgate on my hatch looks like that (well, a bit worse really) and I have some strange desire to repair it in the future. It's all do-able, take your time, measure things, try to secure anchor points first to hold it all in position then you can build the rest in the gaps.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Johnboy HB » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:41 pm

I'm thinking if I leave the tailgate in place, cut out a section & line up the repair section, it should work out OK as long as it follows the body line, the major problem is the inner frame is different after a certain point so I may have to fabricate some of the inner frame to suit
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby BobbyMel » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:22 am

Watching with interest....
HB 368

1970 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....114 BOB
1969 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....BDH819G
1968 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....BOB 33E
1968 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....NHA 764F
1987 - Austin Montego 1.6L....E375 JRV
1995 - Rover 216 Coupe....N622 VOA
BobbyMel
Top Viva Spotter

Postby Johnboy HB » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:58 pm

OK, here goes, cut off the bottom of tailgate as in pic, I cut it just after it curves round to the glass for 2 reasons, firstly, there was damage both sides & secondly, to try to keep distortion down, then cut the bootlid a couple of inches oversize so I could trim it down, then laid the discarded part from the tailgate over the new section to check the profile & discovered that the boot turn button is positioned @ half an inch higher, as in the pic, so another hurdle to cross later on, I put a mark on each rear wing, relating to the cut on the tailgate, opened the tailgate & placed the new section in the aperture & transferred the mark to that, cut a couple of inches in each side & mated it to the tailgate, closed it carefully & teased it into position, marked the remaining cut line, removed it, & cut to suit, then mated them back up, closed the tailgate, check it was all still aligned & put a few tack welds in, that's where it is at the moment
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:03 pm

Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Paul Dawson » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:00 pm

So that repair section is made from a standard saloon bootlid - if I've read that right.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:16 pm

yes, that's right, there's a couple of repairs left to do on the tailgate, then I'll take it off, turn it upside down & repair the inner skin
Attachments
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jpsmit » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:32 am

impressive
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Next

Return to Restoration