Viva GT - resto thread - recap and restart

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: Viva GT - resto thread - recap and restart

Postby jpsmit » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:16 am

Time to pull my thumb out and restart this thread - it has literally been months between work, home renos, son's wedding (that never ended) and inertia. Tonight SWMBO was at Book Club - Darling Daughter at work so it was time. And weather was relatively balmy - 3 C or so. Only got a little more than an hour in. Most of which was spent looking for parts and remembering how things went together.

Back to working on the front suspension. Biggest (smallest) job was turning the spring to seat correctly. I say biggest because it had taken on huge proportions in my mind and then it took only five minutes to actually do - story of my life.

So, picture - nothing really to see but at least proof.

cheers all

jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby jpsmit » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:01 pm

I had an email from the guy I bought the Viva from - asking about when he had sold it to me - realized I am now four years into a two year project! Realized I need to get on this on a regular basis - for the car's sake but for my own as well. Just the act of puttering on these cars is a major stress reliever, but, I digress.

This week I have been trying to sort out the wire harness - I had purchased part of a derelict car and pulled the harness - about 90% intact and spent the last couple of nights labelling and organizing.

The car did come with a wire harness - three actually - so, last night I went to take a look at them (mostly as reference points and possible to scavenge connectors) - The previous harnesses are in 17 pieces! 17! and all just cut and hacked. I know it wasn't the previous PO - but, who does that? There wasn't even enough information to have a new harness patterned from the old.

sheesh.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby Colin » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:10 am

Hi J.P, Have you got a factory service manual? These manuals have both schematic and physical wiring diagrams in the back of the book and cover UK, Canadian and other export models.

I have one of these but might bid for this one if you don't need it - because it's apparently in good condition. :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331769709209? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jpsmit » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:07 pm

Colin wrote:Hi J.P, Have you got a factory service manual? These manuals have both schematic and physical wiring diagrams in the back of the book and cover UK, Canadian and other export models.

I have one of these but might bid for this one if you don't need it - because it's apparently in good condition. :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331769709209? ... EBIDX%3AIT

I do have this one. I also have the factory ones for Viva and Envoy (same manual, different cover!) Interestingly the on in the link is the only one that has the diagrams for Canadian spec cars - four headlights and a few other bits and bobs. I have made about five photocopies of the diagrams - and even coloured one!

Thanks for pointing it out!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Re: Viva GT - resto thread - warning MG content ahead

Postby jpsmit » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:20 am

No real Viva update - the wire harness is all repaired, tested and ready to be taped - then the weather got cold and I couldn't be bothered. Then, finally warm again and the first show of the year (and first swap meet)

So, switched gears and got the MG ready for the season - had decided to change the oil pump as it was the only thing I hadn't done when I freshened the engine. That and some electrical stuff - some which I got working (the headlights) others I finally gave up (one horn or the other works but not both). Oh and a new battery!

Anyway, great trip out to the show - lots of thumbs ups and pictures - and I almost made it - almost!

This is me about 5 miles away

you can't see it but a sudden complete loss of oil pressure (and oil as it turned out)

No visible cause till I got the car on stands and, tada: spot the difference:

stripped thread - and peed out all the oil - I actually heard it ping as it left the car. The good news is that it is relatively easily repairable - either tap a bigger hole or a helicoil - we will see. Hopefully on the road by the weekend.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby Paul Dawson » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:42 am

Your MG looks lovely - even sadly on the back of a breakdown wagon. It reminds of a car our daughter's finance bought which had had a new timing chain. It constantly weeped a bit of oil around one end of the engine so I eventually got round to crawling underneath it - not one, not two, nor even three bolts missing - one whole side of the sump had nothing holding it on.

Hope you get it sorted and the weather stays good. We've had two good days and then it's forecast to get miserable again.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jpsmit » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:20 am

So, the pan came off, hole tapped, insert inserted and pan remounted. Now letting everything dry and new oil tomorrow - but, I have a question. Hylomar is a product that is barely in use here. I do have a tube and put a bead on the pan gasket when I (previously) attached it. When I got the pan off, the bottom was "filled" with bits of hylomar. Obviously not filled but certainly enough to clog an oil filter or passage way. Has this happened to anyone else? What did I do wrong?

I used traditional gasket sealer this time BTW
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby 1972nail » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:12 am

Yes' I've seen that too. Just pulled the Hatch engine to replace the rear crank seal, the sump had been off before and the big ends replaced by a previous owner. It appears that a new gasket must have been 'too expensive' so the old one was reused with copious amounts of red Hylomar. You guessed it...the strainer had a 10% reduction in area due to 'bits' in the sump.

It seems that any 'setting' type sealer which is used excessively enough to squeeze out will break off. I'll be using an RTV silicone with a new gasket. :goodideasign:
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Paul Dawson » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:07 pm

It is why I never use the stuff - I use ThreeBond 1104, it doesn't set and you only use the slightest of smears.

It is mainly sold for motorcycles but it works just as well in cars.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jpsmit » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:46 am

Paul Dawson wrote:It is why I never use the stuff - I use ThreeBond 1104, it doesn't set and you only use the slightest of smears.

It is mainly sold for motorcycles but it works just as well in cars.

Not aware of this product (not likely sold over here) but it does seem I put far too much on. doh!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration