HC Tidy Up (MOT Passed!)

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

HC Tidy Up (MOT Passed!)

Postby Kraken » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:57 pm

Not a restoration as such... More a "quick tidy up" which has already sprouted arms, and probably soon to sprout legs...

So I decided to purchase WFK822K when it came up for sale:

Rear brakes were't the best so I cleaned them up and fitted new cylinders - thank you Fred.
I removed the handbrake operating levers (one of which was seized solid) and put them in a tub of Deox-c to clean up - handbrake now works as it should.

While I was under the rear arches I removed the old underseal to find that the rear seatbelt mounts were past their best - as you can see here:

So I welded these up - it took a long time to get the curve right on the patches.

N/S:

O/S:

Also cleaned up the inner arches and painted. I only came as far forward as the panel seam though - scared of what I was going to find after that. I'm pretty confident the arch spats have been added for a reason.... This will need addressing in the near future. Think I'll be buying some rear arch panels. No pictures of them in their gloss-black glory I'm afraid.

I removed the support panels from the rear floor and cleaned everything up, treated any surface rust I couldn't remove (including the inner panels under the windows) and painted in red-oxide:

I didn't grind down the welds on the inside as I don't want to risk sparks burning holes in the headlining. I also have seatbelt mounting plates that will be welded on to make the arches look original again on the outside.

MOT passed yesterday :D
To pass I had to extened the exhaust a few inches - previous owner made it himself by the look of things and the handbrake cable was fouling on it.
And I replace a missing nut on one of the front suspension bolts.

Next jobs are:
- Lift the rubber matting (no carpet - does that make it a Standard?) and clean up the front floor - looks to be slightly damp :(
- Weld the rear seat belt plates and underseal rear arches.
- Weld the small holes in the spare wheel well.
- Remove underseal from front arches, inspect, weld as necessary.
- Get interior light working, then fit new lense courtesy of David.
- Get engine running a bit better - takes a few attempts to start, and revs need to be kept up for the first few minutes or it will cut out.
- Sort something out with the wheels. Pretty sure these ones are 4x100 PCD so I would like spigot rings at the very least for the moment. Chris has offered to make me some, but I can't measure the centre bore of the wheels at the moment as my digital caliper won't fit it. I suspect they are VW fitment though, 57.1mm.
Last edited by Kraken on Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: HC Tidy Up (MOT Passed!)

Postby chrismc » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:08 pm

Hi Callum. I'm not happy making spigot rings so you can fit 100mm wheels to 4" hubs....I didn't realise that this is what you wanted them for. I assumed you were going to fit the correct size wheels. :?
chrismc
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Kraken » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:28 pm

chrismc wrote:Hi Callum. I'm not happy making spigot rings so you can fit 100mm wheels to 4" hubs....I didn't realise that this is what you wanted them for. I assumed you were going to fit the correct size wheels. :?

I can understand that. It will only be a temporary measure as I'll probably be looking at getting the wheels re-drilled (assuming they are 4x100) or fitting standard 4x4" wheels but if you're still not happy I understand.
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby chrismc » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:48 pm

Best get the correct size wheels I reckon. I couldn't live with myself if the studs snapped and you killed a fluffy little kitten or something... :cry: .

By the way I can't see the photos in your first post. Congrats on the MOT :D
chrismc
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Kraken » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:52 pm

Yeah definitely. These don't seem to be stressing the studs through, so they maybe are 4x4. Need to get somebody to measure them up for me.

Are you viewing on a mobile device? I can't seem to see them on my phone.
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby kriswalsh » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:06 pm

Viewing on computer, photos not showing
kriswalsh
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Kraken » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:31 pm

Photos now fixed.
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby mazzo » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:22 am

Rubber mat does make it a standard as far as I am aware. Mine had one too although not any more.
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1971 Green 2 door HC Base model
1978 Red 4 door Viva E from new
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby hbpeter » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:58 pm

According to the register that car is a Deluxe, and its been lowered and had the hubs redrilled to accept Ford pattern wheels. Well done on the MOT.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby Kraken » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:59 pm

Any more things that would confirm whether it's standard or deluxe? Obviously difficult as things could have been changed with time...

The car is definitely lowered, possibly Corsa springs?

The hubs have been redrilled for Ford fitment, but have been returned to standard 4x4" at some point. The holes are drilled in the hubs at 22.5 degrees from the originals, so I'll be keeping an eye on them in case of any stress cracks.
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to Restoration