1969 Viva HB Patina wagon. Now with matching retro caravan..

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: 1969 Viva HB Patina wagon. Engine back in, assembly funt

Postby yoeddynz » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:34 am

A very exciting evening was had for us. We drove the wagon for the first time. In fact it’s the first time its been on the road since around 1999. I had been intending to have it ready to put through a Wof test on Thursday so we can hopefully take both Vivas to the Nelson area Oldschool meet in the weekend. But it turned out that my wof fella was booked out then. So I booked it for tomorrow and with that little carrot dangling in front of us we both set to work pronto to finish lots of little jobs. We almost had the list checked off but for fitting the bonnet, a side mirror and getting the windscreen washers sorted. The mirror will have to be a little purse mirror taped into the empty side mirror shell that I nicked from the Datsun 120y sitting out back. The windscreen washer is the original old push button type that I just need a reservoir for and the bonnet is now on in place after some quick rust repairs…

I also pinched a filter from Hannahs Triumph wagon. It fits well enough and will do until I get something nicer..

Before it got too late in the day I thought I’d better take it for a drive. Its not idling right and shakes about a bit. My timing light bulb is blown so I cant check the timing. I can’t do it statically with a bulb and some wire as it now has electronic ignition. So I just twisted the dizzy until it sounded about right. The carb jet height is set at two turns down since I stripped it, as per Mr Haynes advice . I have no idea what’s going on but it runs. I jumped in and left the shed. I drove down the slope from the shed and heard a loud sound. Ha..I forgot that I had not cut the front lower corner of the front arches away to clear the wider wheels (a standard mod needed for Vivas) . Back into the shed again and out with the angle grinder. Then back out again and this time a little drive just up our driveway to start with. Brakes needed a good application to scuff off the rust on the discs but otherwise it was OK. Took some photos when it was at the top of our drive…

I really like this next photo I took from our field with all its spring growth.. ( I have given up on mowing up here)..

Hannah walked down and got the recycling bin and tried out the wesome useful load space..

Then back to the shed. I grabbed my tool box, phone and a shirt to stay warm for a possible walk home. First drive on the road here we go. OK not a biggy.. just 3km down the road to the beach. Hey wow.. it goes well! It wanders a little bit and needs and alignment but peppier than I expected. Steering is very light and the clutch is fine. Pretty quiet for a car with no bonnet and no carpets etc. It fun. Excited. Happy! Wow.. I did it. Yay.

Down at the beach some old lady remarked how she used to own a Viva when she spotted it as I snapped some photos. I was sort of in an elated but slightly nervous, excited mood and didn’t really concentrate too much on what photos to take. I just snapped away and was happy to be there in the sun after all this time working on it.

Drove home and showed the neighbour over the road. We spotted a weeping header tank seam on the radiator…

Oh well.. hopefully it’ll hold for a trip to town and the test and I’ll get it sorted out later on. Water pump leaks too but I have 3 spares so will swap one in. Hopefully tomorrow I will also get the bulb for my timing light and properly have a crack at tuning it better.

Next to Viva one and getting Kevins approval..

Please wish me luck with the test tomorrow!
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: 1969 Viva HB Patina wagon. Engine back in, assembly funt

Postby chrismc » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:22 pm

Looks really good. Well done and good luck with the test. :D
chrismc
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: 1969 Viva HB Patina wagon. First drive!!!

Postby yoeddynz » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:15 pm

Cheers. Fingers crossed (that it gets me there too..)
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: 1969 Viva HB Patina wagon. First drive!!!

Postby yoeddynz » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:51 am

I made it to the wof garage with no major issues. I have learned to ignore the temp gauge.. it tells lies. Maybe wrong sender for the cluster I'm using that's the old one from Viva one.

The fuel gauge ain't working. The alternator light randomly comes on ..I suspect a bad earth. The speedo cable has now snapped at the other end !

But I made it and it was in good hands..

After wowing the tester as he's never seen an HB wagon before I walked off to do some shopping. I was hungry as and had a nice pie while I waited for the result.

Whilst going shopping I spotted this..

I chatted to the owner, an old boy who's very proud of his Viva. He actually has a Datsun engine with a 5 speed box, fitted by the fella doing my wof.

Finished shopping, walked back to the garage. Car was moved inside...

Did it pass???? It did! Yes [:-)] One of my sidelight bulbs was out. I'd known about it but forgot. He chucked another bulb in and passed it! [:-)] (I have to fix the speedo asap which I will do so tonight). Yay!!!! Straight to the post office for some rego.

So I drove home happy, checked the ignition timing with a mates light and it was indeed probably 10-15 degrees to advanced! Its also running lean but damned if I can move the jet down. Might put a slightly smaller O ring in that wont jam up.

Got home. Took photo of this...

Hung these in place...

and sat back for one of these...

A very, very happy man I am !

So speedo cable to sort then tune the engine. Change the oil. Get radiator leak soldered. Then in between driving I want to sort out the boot floor with some plywood and make it all flat ready for bikes etc.
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: 1969 Viva HB Patina wagon- now road legal!

Postby Colin » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:21 pm

Congratulations! and well done for all that hard work!

I love this wagon. It really takes me back to my youth and fun in the sun. I guess I'm just envious (now being old and cold in the UK winter) :D
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:54 pm

Nice 1, must finish mine soon :D
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby BobbyMel » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:05 am

Here's my wagon....
Attachments
HB 368

1970 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....114 BOB
1969 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....BDH819G
1968 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....BOB 33E
1968 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....NHA 764F
1987 - Austin Montego 1.6L....E375 JRV
1995 - Rover 216 Coupe....N622 VOA
BobbyMel
Top Viva Spotter

Postby yoeddynz » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:50 am

Oh yes... I know yours.. its a touch tidier than mine! :-)

It was the one featured yonks ago in practical classics yeah?
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby hbpeter » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:16 pm

Very well done. Good to see another on the road.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby Kraken » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:20 pm

Congratulations! Looks great.

Also a very nice looking garage you took it to for the test.
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration