Meet Honey.

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: Meet Honey.

Postby Kraken » Mon May 02, 2016 8:14 pm

Trying to take engine out just now, but having trouble separating box from engine. We've found and undone 7 bolts. Can't see any more, just 2 locating pins but the box and engine seem to be stuck solid still... Any ideas?
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Mon May 02, 2016 8:23 pm

There's a thin metal plate that bolts to the bottom of the gearbox from the engine side, you may have overlooked this
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Kraken » Wed May 04, 2016 12:04 am

Thank you JohnBoy!

Well yesterday I manoeuvred (read: drove) Honey around the driveway. Had to keep the revs up to stop her cooking out, and the clutch is extremely high, more like an on/off switch. She moved just fine though, first gear and reverse.

Seeing as it was a bank holiday we thought we would have a few beers and take the engine out. We got so close and then stopped for food, but you know how it is once you stop... So we packed in for the night. Got back at it this evening after work though. Unbolted that metal plate, and with a fresh set of eyes also noticed we'd forgotten to unbolt the starter motor - rookie error, but this was only our second engine removal.

Gave the bay a little clean up and here's how she looks now.

Anybody got any ideas what causes the interesting pattern on the windscreen? Something to do with sunlight I'm assuming?

Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Wed May 04, 2016 9:58 am

It's something to do with the toughening process, and is usually much more noticeable when viewed through polarising sunglasses or a camera with a polarising filter. I remember when I was a kid, putting sunglasses on would immediately show this effect on car windscreens, I know I've got a photo from a show last year with it really obvious, but I can't find it now. Is that where the old Triplex "Zebrazone" name comes from?

ETA - possibly: http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/new ... to/3109262
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby chrismc » Wed May 04, 2016 11:08 am

I remember asking my Dad about this when I was a kid. He said it was were the cold air was blasted on to the hot screen during the tempering process.

Funny some of the rubbish you remember... :roll:
chrismc
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Wed May 04, 2016 6:37 pm

A bit more obvious here on my car. Photo taken using a polarizing filter. I've now fitted a laminated screen.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Kraken » Mon May 09, 2016 8:16 pm

Well you learn something new everyday!

Not a great deal of progress. Started taking more things out of the engine bay, battery tray was a pain! Also, a large portion of inner wing came out with only minor persuasion...

Has to get worse before it gets better... right? :|

Really need to get the doors off and finish removing the front wings but my hinge pin puller didn't work as I had hoped. I have an idea in mind for an updated version though.
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby hbpeter » Sat May 14, 2016 5:42 pm

Doing rreally well on this, a lot of people wouldnt have even started it. Top job.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby Kraken » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:55 pm

Managed to find a smidgen of time so there's been a tiny bit of progress. Should be working 4-day weeks for the next three months though, so fingers crossed :wink:

Gearbox and crossmember removed, and the worst of the gunk cleaned off.

Petrol tank also removed, with a view to start welding, working from the rear forwards. I'm hoping that if I work this way then by the time I get the front end I'll be confident enough to tackle it. I'll also be too deep-in to give up!

What gauge steel do people use for chassis rails?
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Kraken » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:03 pm

Underseal scraped off from rear of car as far forwards as back axle. Rusty bits removed and good metal treated. Cutting and welding still to do.

Started on the o/s/r inner arch too.
Eep... :imsmiling:

Any advice on the best course of action here?

And does anybody have clear pictures of how these panels should meet?
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration