HA reverse light switch

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

HA reverse light switch

Postby Bob perry » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:56 pm

Too cold to go to the garage, so sat here thinking about possibly fitting reverse lights to my HA SL.
There are two spare wires, green with black stripe that join in to one connector, in the rear loom by the o/s back panel, are these for reverse lights or fog lights?
Secondly, is the reverse switch that fits in to the rear of the gearbox, the same as the brake light switch under the pedals?. Drawings certainly look the same!
Rear of gear box housing has a plug aperture for the switch, so I'm hoping it would be fairly simple to connect up, but nothing's that simple is it?
Looking at the wiring diagram, ( Negative Earth ), shows green and black wires to the fuel tank unit and back to the dash gauge, which I have but I can't follow where these other two green/black wires go back to, and what they are for.
Accessory diagram ( only listed for positive earth in my book) shows a green/brown wire back to switch and on to fuse NO 2.
I know Adrian has a genuine kit for sale, but a bit out of my price range, I'm afraid, so if I already have the wiring and a spare brake light switch and lamps I might be able to fit it up, with luck!!

Any thoughts?
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: HA reverse light switch

Postby Fred Dukes » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:44 pm

Don't think the switches are the same Bob - I can find you a s/w - does your gearbox end cap have the threaded hole - if not can find one of those too - s/h reversing lights?
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Bob perry » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:01 pm

Thanks Fred. The gearbox end cap does have a hole ready for the switch, plugged off at the moment of course.
I will take the switch please, if you could hold it for me. I will collect when I pick up the door cards.

Hoping to be in the Midlands, to visit family, during school half term in February, so would that fit in with you?

Thanks
Bob
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby bedfordbad » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:03 pm

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361871593282

Bob...

This is on ebay... Adrian might photo the instructions for you if you ask him..... the gearbox switch does look the same as a brake light switch to me!!
BEDFORD HAE AAB412H
BEDFORD HA ROMA UJJ742F
BEDFORD HA 130 TNN514R
VARIOUS HA VANS AND ROMA`S FOR SPARES.
bedfordbad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:37 am

I think Frazer has a set of instructions as he bought a kit off me a couple of years ago.
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Johnboy HB » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:37 pm

Although physically the same I believe the brake light & reverse light switches work oppositely, i,e, the brake light switch is activated when the plunger is out, the reverse light is activated when the plunger is in
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:56 pm

good point John :P
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Bob perry » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:52 pm

What about if you just swop the wires on the switch terminals?
I fitted a brake switch and the brake lights were on all the time, and off when I pressed the brake pedal, so I reversed the wiring and all was well. Would that not work this time?
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby StefanM » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:33 pm

I have new switches if you need the correct one?
I also have a complete set (as adrians), open to offers.
StefanM
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:48 pm

Bob perry wrote:What about if you just swop the wires on the switch terminals?
I fitted a brake switch and the brake lights were on all the time, and off when I pressed the brake pedal, so I reversed the wiring and all was well. Would that not work this time?

I can't see how that would help in either scenario. The switch either has the contacts bridged unless it is pushed in, or it has the contacts not bridged until it is pushed in. Other than some random sticking contact, I can't see how reversing the connectors would alter how the switch works, unless it works differently than the HC brake light switch.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to Electrical help