Viva HC SL estate YBM100L

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Viva HC SL estate YBM100L

Postby lord13 » Sun May 28, 2017 8:04 am

I picked up this little beauty on saturday, after winning it on ebay, I believe it was 'Kraken' who posted up the link on here so a big thank you for bringing my attention to it. :D
I was actually surprised it didn't go for more as its a pretty solid old thing, with, as far as I can see, not much welding to do. The interior is really good, and complete by the looks of things, without the usual wear and tear and cracks etc.
I got a bit of information on it's history over the past few years from the seller. Apparently, sometime around 1986 it was laid up, for whatever reason he didn't know, In a domestic garage and pretty much forgotten about. It was brought to the sellers attention via a contact he knew (he has a restoration business, and a HB he is rebuilding) so he went to have a look. When they opened the garage, there it was, suspended on two scissor jacks. Yes two, one under the center of the diff and one in the middle of the front crossmember, how it didn't fall over I don't know. But the reason for this was to keep the wheels off the floor, which i guess saved them because I towed it home on an A frame on those same wheels without issue. The rockers were also taken off, presumably to close the valves and protect the cylinders. valve seats, etc from corrosion, I will find out if that worked later today :) . And that's about it, It shows up on the DVLA database, so all is good there.
There is rust, it does need welding, and from initial inspection, a complete brake and suspension overhaul, but that is to be expected, but from what i can see it's £520 well spent :D .
OK here are a few (?) pics :D
*note: not as many as before as photobucket wrecked everything but you get the idea*

So there you go, now you know as much about it as I do :)

I'm going to check out the engine today, and poke around a bit more with the underside and try to make a list of jobs for myself, If possible, I'm gonna try to get it to 'not billing' , fingers crossed. :)
Last edited by lord13 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: Viva HC SL estate YBM100L

Postby Colin » Sun May 28, 2017 10:29 am

Well done, Lord13. That looks like a very original car with a very nice SL interior.

Hopefully the bodywork restoration will be reasonably straightforward, without too many hidden horrors! :D
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Mon May 29, 2017 7:56 am

Colin wrote:
Hopefully the bodywork restoration will be reasonably straightforward, without too many hidden horrors! :D

hopefully it will yes :)

Had a good old dig around yesterday, didn't get the chance to get it up on axle stands so my poking was only on what i could reach but here's what i can see so far...

Front valence - small repair to edges where it meets the wings and the awkward bit around the indicators.

Wings- fairly solid, apart from the tops where the wing mirrors were fitted, the leading edge and trailing edge of the passenger side need some work too, they are 'high-tops' too, which is nice. I may have to remove them to repair them properly.

Inner wings - hinge panels and a bit on the drivers side top edge.

sills- drivers side surprisingly solid once i'd scraped off the underseal, rusty but solid, the rear end needs doing, and the rivet holes for the trim. passenger side has had a 'gash-job' repair, so i'll need a sill or repair panel for that side.

inner sills - solid, except both rear ends need a small repair.

rear arches - pretty shot as expected, needs a pair of those, plus inner arch repair so that looks to be the most expensive part of the job, (the wife will have to wait for her new hairdressers chair, have you seen the price of those things????)

Spare wheel well - obviously needs doing as always.

so, on initial inspection no real surprises on the body work so i'm happy. Oh and the engine is seized, not un-expected either, i removed the head and number 3 and 4 combustion chambers are rusty, due to condensation I guess, and the tops of both pistons are covered in rusty flakes and such like. not terminal, but needing a strip down. I have another engine to go in it's place for now, and i'll rebuild it's original one on the bench at my leisure :)

So that was day one, lets see what day 2 holds....if it stops raining that is :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Mon May 29, 2017 8:16 pm

I have some wheel arches cut from a pair of front wings. They have a bit of surface rust and the rear bit missing but may be useful to repair the front 3/4 of the rear arches.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby lord13 » Tue May 30, 2017 7:20 am

PM'd you matey :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby ADRIAN » Wed May 31, 2017 9:40 pm

If interested, I have a pair of new genuine high top wings available. Asking £250 each, sorry cannot do cheaper, my last pair.
Adrian
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:21 am

That would be very nice Adrian, but alas the cupboard is bare :(

On a more positive note, the inner wing repair panel from Fred arrived yesterday, and after 3 hours of solid cutting, shaping and welding my o/s inner wing has been repaired :)

Pics to follow
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Kraken » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:50 pm

3 hours!? Would have been quicker with a splodge of filler :lol:

Why do I have a hankering for an estate now? :goodluck:
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:03 am

In my defence I did have to cut the repair panel down to just the hinge area, and make the return edge along the top of the inner wing myself...I thought 3 hours weren't bad :wink: what can i say, i'm slow :wink:

Today's job is to finish the outer wing, and pop the engine and subframe out, I was supposed to have all week on the old girl, but the kids are off school and i'm their taxi :|
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:00 am

More work done today. . .
Engine out, so will be giving the bay and the subframe a good clean.
*edit * useless pic links removed*
although this little bugger wouldn't come out, the bolt just spun in the bush, so i'll have to get my nut splitter or grinder out to remove it. I have a replacement one so all is well
Last edited by lord13 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to Restoration