1974 1800 Magnum on the mot trail

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: 1974 1800 Magnum on the mot trail

Postby 1972nail » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:34 pm

I believe that the hole was used on the production line to insert part of the body alignment jig prior to welding. the plates are there to plug the hole.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:35 am

Magnum Force wrote:I wont be throwing out the "frilly bit" as may come in useful for an inner arch repair which is needed.

The inner arch isn't the same shape as the outer one, instead of the double-curve it just has a flat edge. It's very close to the outer panel, hence quite difficult to get any rustproofing in, so it rusts from within.

Magnum Force wrote:A previous patch in an area of the inner arch that seems to be a favourite spot to go.

If I'm seeing correctly, that's where the rear seat belt lower mount strengthening panel is, at least on some cars. It's a flanged panel with a captive nut fixed to it, and the flanged edge nicely captures mud and rots it all away.

1972nail wrote:I believe that the hole was used on the production line to insert part of the body alignment jig prior to welding. the plates are there to plug the hole.

Didn't someone say that it's called a "Paint Access Panel" in the parts book? "Panel, paint access cover" is listed, but not against an illustration so cannot confirm.

It's main function seems to be to allow water from the road wheels to seep into the underfelt and take the floor out.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby lord13 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:54 am

I always thought it was a paint access panel, i believe that's what I was told . . .what it gives access to i don't know as all the vivas i have had have had bugger all paint in the footwells ;)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby redfirenza » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:22 pm

when the shell was dipped into the big tanks of primer or whatever else they used those plates allowed the primer to run back out of the footwells, its a simple as that
redfirenza
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:16 pm

Yes, Vivas were not known for good neat panel gaps. Your replacement wing was probably a proper Vauxhall one. The panels on the production line were selected for fit or at least a reasonable fit and those that were rejected wer sold off as replacements. It was considered better to let the garages spend time sorting out the fit after a repair than try to fit a dodgy panel on the line.

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:01 pm

Makes the dirty jobs seem a lot more enjoyable when you see a floor like that. Most are thin at best but usually non existant or badly patched up. The driver's side front foot well is usually the worst. What's the boot floor and spare wheel well like?

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby chrismc » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:04 pm

Very nice work. Keep it up! 8) :D
chrismc
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:12 pm

Magnum Force wrote:Anyone have any tips on making up repair sections for the inner arch ?

I made mine in relatively short sections, fitted the outer arch, clamped the inner section in place and gave it a quick tack from inside the arch to hold it in place, then took the outer arch off again and welded it properly from the outside. I did originally try making the L-shaped edge in one piece but it turned out to be far too much hassle.

droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:10 am

For the main shaping, a selection of bits of general steel, angle iron, wood and hammers in a vice. To make the curved sections, I happened to drop on a reasonably priced shrinker/stretcher pair that made it a lot easier. I managed to do stretching (for an outer curve on the angle piece) with a hammer, but never managed to master shrinking.

I also spent a lot of time reading this thread on making body panels on Retro Rides: http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/70135/panels - warning - it's difficult to not get engrossed in it.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Colin » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:39 pm

It's looking great! Good luck with the remaining work.

I know you're some way from thinking about the shiney bits, Magnumforce, but I know you were asking for some rostyle centre caps. These have appeared on ebay -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Viva ... SwceNZVXS3

(Unfortunately I could only find two of these in my boxes of bits and one of those is a slightly dented)
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration