Viva HC SL estate YBM100L

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: Viva HC SL estate YBM100L

Postby 1972nail » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:23 am

Progress indeed. :D

There are two types of upper subframe mounts, I'll describe them as slim and fat. Your's are the earlier slim type. The fat ones will raise the front suspension by about 6mm.

Pics here....

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20784&start=40

Here's a tip for refitting your subframe and engine as one piece....

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20784&start=80
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby lord13 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:32 am

Ah, in all my years of viva ownership I didn't know there were two different sizes of top mount, i'll check my replacement against the original and see if they're the same. As for the plastic tube trick, i've done something similar before but used rigid tubes, flexible ones would make the whole job a little easier :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby StefanM » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:21 am

the larger mount came in 1974 irrespective of engine size.
StefanM
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lord13 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:18 am

Well . . . i have been flat out on the viva trying to get it ready MOT ready for 'Not Billing', The idea was a 'quick and dirty' schedule of repairs, basically the bare minimum to get it through a MOT and take it to the show, then hopefully purchase what i needed from the auto jumble and ebay and do a full resto and repair for NEXT years show.
It was all going so well . . .
Inner wings . .

shiney new engine (well, my old spare with a lick of paint)

and there lies the rub... The engine is not as 'ok' as i thought, compression is down . . . well non-existant to be fair, readings of 0, 50, 50, and 75 psi . . .

oh well . . . i'll keep squirting stuff down the bores to free it off but it looks like it will have to get to the show next year.
Just as well because now i can concentrate on the grand scenic that just decided to stop on monday for no real reason i can fathom . . .
Last edited by lord13 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:03 pm

I'd hoped to see this car at MH but sadly not this year. I'm sure that you've probably heard this before but good results on un-seizing rings has been had by pouring a heated mixture of engine oil and diesel into the bores. A friend once freed up a Minor engine that had been seized for over 20 years using this process. I suppose it's the effect of the heat and the lubrication that does the trick. Care must be taken when heating the mixture, my friend uses an old metal tea pot on a gas barbeque outside.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby lord13 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:49 am

I've heard lots of different remedies, including oil and diesel, but not heated . . . although it stands to reason that a heated mixture would be more penetrating, I will give it a go :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:35 am

To console myself and to take my mind off my engine woes I decided to have an in depth look at some crusty patches around the rear damper mountings . . .

... and the rear seat belt mounts . . .

I think this damper was on a bit tight don't you? I took a fair bit to shift . . .

Nothing surprising, it's a normal and very usual place for viva's to go, and all sorted now, I was on it flat out all day yesterday, I'm going to tidy up some of the welds and stick some seam sealer and paint on it, then take some pics to show what i've done.
Last edited by lord13 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:35 am

It is alive!!!

https://youtu.be/Ra85J9gD9RE

I had some technical difficulties trying to embed the vid, but the link works i think :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:40 pm

update . . .
Fuel tank woes :/

So I decided to fix my tank ( when i renewed the fuel line the little pipe from the tank snapped off as they invariably do ), so I removed all interior trim, the estate is particularly awkward in this respect, and exposed the tank. I disconnected the filler hose ( it fell away in sticky bits is what i mean ) and removed all the screws and sender unit.
The sender unit was in a bad way, covered in grey sludge, i can only assume that what ever the unit was made from had decided to disintegrate after so many years with old petrol fumes attacking it. I lifted the tank...well tried to, it was bloody heavy so i guess it was full. I positioned a catch tray under the tank and tipped it so all the old fuel came out of the filler pipe... it stank, and was a deep red, like wine, bit odd. Anyway after draining most of the stuff out i lifted the tank, which was still bloody heavy, again I thought 'odd', so i poked about with a screw driver and pushed a caked mass of crunchy black 'stuff' out of the filler hole, more oking about and i discovered the entire tank was full of this stuff, it was caked all over the bottom of the tank, there was no way i could get all this rubbish out so i decided to take the plung and cut the top off the tank.
This is what was in it . . .

nasty huh . . .
so i cleaned it all out . . .

cut a piece of steel to fit the top and fitted the breather tube and sender fitting ring . . .

Made up a baffle plate and welded it on ( welds are a bit *Bleep* as i'd ran out of wire so i used the trusty arc ) . . .

And using a special petrol resistant bonding agent ( local farm stores supplied that one ) I fixed it to the tank ( yes i did remember to repair the fuel line in the tank i just forgot to take a picture ) and left it overnight to cure . . .

And gave it all a lick of stone chip black and re-fitted it in the viva. . .

not a bad job i think :D
Last edited by lord13 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:52 am

Photobucket has wrecked my, and countless others, threads . . .
I will rectify the issue shortly, but for now... well i just can't be arsed :|

well that was me some time ago...now I have rectified the issue and the thread can resume....
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration