Red HC Convertible Hampshire

Have you got yourself a barn find and want other to know?

Re: Red HC Convertible Hampshire

Postby Mike Robinson » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:06 pm

The car was ours, strictly speaking my wife’s. She did noticed some extra interest from a car coming the other way – I was just wondering if tooting the air horns at the ponies to get them to make up their minds would help.

I did the conversion a long time ago – it been on the road since 1981 but it has recently had a bit of a tart up.

I guess I should take some photos and post with more details.

Mike Robinson
Mike Robinson
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:43 pm

Haa well done Mike pics and Reg for the register!
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Mjones » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:20 pm

Mike Robinson wrote:The car was ours, strictly speaking my wife’s. She did noticed some extra interest from a car coming the other way – I was just wondering if tooting the air horns at the ponies to get them to make up their minds would help.

I did the conversion a long time ago – it been on the road since 1981 but it has recently had a bit of a tart up.

I guess I should take some photos and post with more details.

Mike Robinson

Nice to meet you, albeit very briefly indeed, a superb looking HC, great conversion. :)
Mike Robinson wrote:I was just wondering if tooting the air horns at the ponies to get them to make up their minds would help.

New Forest ponies have a mind of their own and are not to be trifled with. They seemed to be quite happy standing around in a group creating quite a tailback!
1972 HC Estate The White Knight
1974 HC S74 Arthur Dent
Mjones
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Mike Robinson » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:38 pm

A few words about our Viva conversion to go with the photos. I bought it in 1978 specifically to make it into a drophead for my wife. It was a 1256 “fleet” model and very basic, although there was a heater and it was undersealed. It was cheap too, I found out why later when I had to rebuild the engine!

It’s really difficult with convertibles derived from monocoque cars, to make them stiff enough in torsion - an easy stiffness test is, can you jack up one corner and still open and close the doors freely. I had a chance to look round Crayford’s workshop (even some of theirs had a reputation for being a bit “flexible”) to see how they did the conversions. I found that they needed to hold a car on a jig while they cut away the inner sills and parts of the floor pan to weld in substantial box members between “A” post and rear wheel arch, and decided that was a bit too challenging for me and my stick welder. Remember this was before small diy level MIG welders became available. I did some calculations and some crude model tests and realised though that keeping, and perhaps strengthening, the over door members would allow an easier, workable design.

I treated it first to a commercial “steam clean” actually a high pressure hot water blast which revealed a lot of rust holes in the wings of a seven year old car but made it a lot more pleasant and easier to work on, then drove it into my single garage, kicked out the rear windows, and picked up a hacksaw and cut off the roof. No going back then!!

The basic reinforcing includes the roll bar system together with a supplementary “B” post, transmitting loads into new inner panels between the “B” posts and rear wheel arches – where you have mill board covered in vinyl I have sheet steel. Based on some experience in the aircraft industry I hand cut and bent most of a 6ft x 4ft sheet of 19 gauge (just over 1mm) mild steel to make lots of shapes, brackets, stiffeners to put it all together. It’s also mainly glued and riveted together, with some carbon arc brazing ( a transient technology producing lots of fumes which was probably almost as unhealthy as spraying two pack without a mask) where needed.

The only bits I didn’t do myself were bending the roll bars and extra “B” post, the top coats of cellulose and the hood, which was cut and fitted to my frame. By comparison with the body, the hood was very hi-tech for the time and fully welded.

It has recently been treated to a professional respray and some new chrome so it looks rather smart. The hood also got a new window and some minor repairs. I had the engine out to cure most of the oil leaks, sorted out the wiring and other neglected areas a bit, and generally tarted up the interior with new carpets, resprayed upholstery and dashpad.

If I could only fix the flat spot on acceleration I would be happy with it!

Mike
Attachments
Last edited by Mike Robinson on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Robinson
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Mike Robinson » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:41 pm

Well that didn't work. Ithought I followed the instructions for posting photos but obviously didn't. Any advice?

Mike
Mike Robinson
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Colin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:22 pm

It's okay, Mike. The pictures are viewable when we click on the link. With our website you have to save yours pics to your computer, then open them with the 'paint' programme, resize them to no more than 800 x 600 pixels, then you can upload them onto the site.

The car looks great. And you did all that work nearly forty years ago? It's a good looking and usable convertible. Obviously some proper engineering skill and thought went into the conversation work. I think it's a brilliant car. :respekt:

(I'm sure the acceleration flat spot could be sorted with maybe a carb overhaul and an electronic ignition kit?)
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Mike Robinson » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:38 pm

Colin,

I finally realised how its supposed to be done and that you dont need to use a hosting arrangement, particularly that irritating Photobucket. Have edited the post with 3 of the photos in.

Thanks

Mike
Mike Robinson
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:51 am

Fred Dukes wrote:It may be there is a 3rd one we don't know about :?: The New Forrest can hide a lot of things :lol:

Must be, then - there's the one in the photos from Billing early in the thread, the K-plated car that Mike gave us all the details on, and the Magnum (which I believe is the one that used to feature on a previous incarnation of the DSG web site). I'm also hearing talk of a metallic blue one.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Previous

Return to Found a Viva in real life?