GT seat latch question

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

GT seat latch question

Postby jpsmit » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:59 am

Greetings all, my car time recently has been spent sorting out the seats on the GT. I started out with 5 front seats and 1 1/2 rear - The rear was in good shape but I had to get the top replaced dues to rips and holes (I suspect sun related)

The front seats required some massaging of the bases - one foam, another frame and a third upholstery - so, all sorted. However, today I reattached the back and the latch doesn't latch. It appears latched looking at it - and I can't unlatch it to grab the loop if that makes sense.

Tomorrow I will be comparing it to other seats, but, in the meantime is there something obvious?

thanks!
JP
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Re: GT seat latch question

Postby jpsmit » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:48 am

So, answering my own question, the latch was fine, it was an alignment issue with the hoop. took some time but, it works and the seat is sitting in the car waiting to go!

Hopefully tomorrow the brackets get dropped off for powder coating and we are good to go.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby Colin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:51 pm

Glad that's sorted for you, J.P. The car must be looking great now. Could you post some more pics? I bet I'm not the only one who would love to see it. :D
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jpsmit » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:22 pm

Colin wrote:Glad that's sorted for you, J.P. The car must be looking great now. Could you post some more pics? I bet I'm not the only one who would love to see it. :D

will try - not much more to show but I too got caught up in the photobucket ridiculousness. :twisted:

Have not taken the bit of time it needs to sort out the replacement photo hosting site.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby Colin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:52 pm

If you want to email them to me, J.P, I will be happy to resize them for you and put them straight onto this thread. colindbarrett@btinternet.com
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jpsmit » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:09 am

Colin wrote:Glad that's sorted for you, J.P. The car must be looking great now. Could you post some more pics? I bet I'm not the only one who would love to see it. :D

Well, finally sorted out the photo hosting somewhat - Flickr to the rescue. Colin I'll be honest, most of what I am doing is so not worth taking photos of, but, I did get the seats sorted. To recap, I had five front seats and one and a half rear seats - the top of the back seat had been badly repaired where the vinyl had cracked in the sun - local upholstery place to the rescue. I figured I could do the front seats myself. This was literally one frame, another cushion, a third cover and possibly a fourth seat back. I am quite proud of how it turned out!

Frame:

BTW the reason for the clips in the cover to the right is that I had to glue a cover over the wire as the original cover had largely disintegrated - this wire is then clipped to give the seat its shape. The red came from a pair of SWMBO's jeans - and yes I did have permission! :D

and the foam - interestingly while the foam is labelled left and right, not every foam is exactly the same even though you couldn't tell from the seats.

and finally the seat itself!

Oh and did I mention that when I sit in the car on the seat my head hits the ceiling of the car? After all this I may have to have the frame cut down!

Onward!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby timbuk » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:43 am

seats look great good job Imagelove this car
car guy from canada
timbuk
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Colin » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:10 pm

Seats are looking great J.P. :D

I'm sure I'm not the only one on this side of the pond who is envious of your Canadian seats with their integral head restraints. That particular safety measure wasn't adopted as mandatory in the UK until the early 1980s.

PS, Are you sure you're not in trouble over the jeans? :wink:
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to Restoration