1974 1800 Magnum on the mot trail

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: 1974 1800 Magnum on the mot trail

Postby Colin » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:37 am

I have back problems too, Magnumforce, so I have some understanding of your pain. :(

You've worked so hard and achieved an enormous amount in a very short time with this lovely old car.
A wise man (on here I think) once advised that if it all gets too much then it's a good idea to put a cover over it and walk away from it for a couple of months, or however long it takes, and have a good rest from it. Then make a decision about whether or not you want to continue the work in a few months time.

Enthusiasm and physical ability are often renewed after a good rest. It would be a shame to sell it after all that work and then to regret it later. Good luck what ever you decide. :goodluck:
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:36 pm

I agree Colin, take a rest and time to consider the way forward. Selling it now would see you loosing quite a lot of your investment both in the original car's cost and time / effort to get it this far. Better to delay the work than lose out.

I suggest setting target dates for completion of certain jobs - small jobs as well as large but let them be very easily achievable considering your back condition and other commitments. That way you can see and measure the progress without losing interest all together. But don't get too caught up in achieving the targets, let them be flexible and up for re-consideration as you near the date on the calender, remember you are the one who set the target and you have no one else to report to if you didn't achieve it.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:11 pm

I've found it quite handy just recently to write a list of outstanding jobs, as it gives you something tangible to tick off as you complete each one. I got a cheap exercise book and made out my list, and each time I've crossed a few things off I write it out again, without those items, on the next page. Obviously, restorations being restorations, each time I rewrite it there are some items to add, but it does give a sense of having achieved something.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:46 pm

I'm saddened to learn of your immenent decision to sell. I think that you should wait a while longer and give yourself time to adjust to a much slower pace of progress. Get assistance to do the jobs that you can't manage and do the jobs you can in your own time as you feel up to it. I know that approach will cost more and take longer but you will have a car that will have a decent resale value whereas at the minute it is another unfinished project that you'll be offered peanuts for.

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Kraken » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:43 pm

Sad to hear this. Especially after all the work you've put in in such a short period of time.
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:10 pm

Now that is progress. May be just a little but still progress. As I said, it might take a wee bit longer but stick at it and enjoy the time spent achieving even the smallest of goals.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby rattlyolddt » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:21 am

Awesome Mick, glad you're keeping it. Everyone should try new drugs and taking it easy :goodideasign:

Let me know if you still want the bumper, kettles always on.
rattlyolddt
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby cooperman » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:47 am

Glad to hear you are managing to carry on with he superb work you've started. Stay positive and I look forward to seeing you and the Magnum around next year.
Marcus
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Kraken » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:29 pm

:respekt:

Looking good!
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:48 pm

Oh, that's much worse than my matrix was, well due for some attention.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration