HC Tidy Up (MOT Passed!)

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: HC Tidy Up (MOT Passed!)

Postby 1972nail » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:37 pm

You might be able to squeeze 195 50's on but better to try 205 60's
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Kraken » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:31 pm

Accuspark ignition now fitted.
New Lucas coil.
Ballast resistor bypassed.
Dizzy cap adjusted so it fits properly.
Timing still needs to be set up properly.

Rear wheels are away being re-pitched (front ones are already correct).
Got some wider tyres on their way now too.
Also a standard exhaust on its way.

Happy chappy!
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Kraken » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:27 pm

While I was at work the other day my brother snuck in and did the timing.

Took her for a run today and seemed to be running quite well for a couple of miles, then the engine cut out and wouldn't restart... rotor arm fell off! Refitted and started straight away.

Checked the compression too. Very good on cylinders 1 and 2 (125 and 120 psi) but poor on the other two (75psi).
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Kraken » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:24 pm

Rotor at has now jumped off 4 (maybe 5) times.

After the first 2/3times I thought it was because of the collar in the Accuspark ignition kit. I then putabit of tape on the shaft to keep the collar on tightly and it seemed a success!

Then today the rotar arm came off again (admittedly at high revs). Then came off again later.

Any ideas?
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Kraken » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:32 pm

Head gasket now replaced.
Everything decoked.
Valves and seats reground and lapped.
New valve stem seals.
New manifold gaskets.

Compression.... all around 110-120 now (cold). Much better :D :D

Now I just need the rain to stop and my re-pitched wheels back!!
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Kraken » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:23 pm

Beigey now has an original exhaust and a fresh MOT.
My wheels are back from their PCD adjustment... it did not go well. They now need to be re-collared, know of anybody good?!
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:38 pm

Just noticed that for some reason I hadn't read this thread for a while......

Can't recommend anyone to re-collar your wheels but the jumping rotor arm is a problem specific to modern reproduction rotor arms. For some reason they seem to be loose and the spring does not seem to be effective.

I would suggest finding out which makes are a better fit than the one you've got. In the mean time, fitting the arm over a piece of old cotton cloth to take up the slack and trimming the cloth back very carefully so as not to interfere with the workings of everything moving inside might prevent a breakdown somewhere nasty.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Kraken » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:05 pm

I'm in no rush to get my wheels done to be honest. The weather's terrible and winter is looming so Beigey won't be out too much. I'm just keeping my eye out for another set, hoping to move down to 7J.

The rotor arm is okay at the moment, I took up the slack a while ago and it's fine ever since. I am planning on replacing it but that's just another one of those things that goes on a list and never seems to get done...

Windscreen seals are also on the list, and the carb is in dire need of a tune! Massively overfuelling at the moment. It's got a 150CD fitted which isn't original to the car. I don't know when it was fitted, or by whom, so it may not even be correctly jetted?
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby steve_1984 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:29 am

Has the carb got the adjustable jet? If so wind it all the way in, then out two complete turns, the haynes manual suggests not more than half a turn in either direction to fine tune it. If not then its worth checking they are the right jets. A split diaphragm may also be the culprit over over fuelling :goodluck:
1968 HB Deluxe :D
steve_1984
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby GAV » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:53 pm

I could be wrong but I do not recall there being a Standard or fleet model HC.

At a show some while back I was looking for a sender for a temp guage as mine didnt have that feature, and someone in an HC estate next to me tentatively asked if my HB was a fleet model, as a mate of his was in his Cortina basic model and later speaking with him too,he said he was in the process of restoring a similar airflow model, only a 2 door one . I saw it ( presumably) leaving a recent show a couple of weeks ago.

I had explained to the HC guy that the base HB had little brightwork, rubber mats, no front quarter lights, only one Sun visor.
The Deluxe had more brightwork, a heater ,carpet , opening front quarter light windows ,as opposed to the Super Luxury (SL)job with its opening rear quarter lights too ,( our first family Viva a Deluxe circa 1964 had that feature, but not "our" new Deluxe 90 in 1967, in both cases the fleet ones were alsofixed with less exterior brightwork ) full door cards , faux painted metal to look like wood ,speedo trim and on the glove box , colour coordinated steering wheels with fake wood centre plate , wheel trims, (base and Deluxes were hubcap only) brightwork around the rear lights and across the boot lid , as well as contrasting pin stripes , SL wing badges, even on the 90 that was only on the rear badge, as was the Deluxe 90, with just the Viva script on both wings.
SL grills were different of course .

They reckon genuine Brabhams are hens teath rare, but so are the Fleet models. Maybe the HC E model was the base one,hope that isnt insulting any such owners, not that my parents last Viva an SL HC was that Super Luxury but a pleasant enough car I seem to recall.
GAV
GT Viva
GT Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration