Viva HC SL estate YBM100L

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: Viva HC SL estate YBM100L

Postby lord13 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:19 pm

So... I decided that my outer wing repairs were *Bleep*, and so were my rear wheel arches.. . so after sourcing another fibreglass wing off Mr Volvofirenza i cut off the steel ones and used the arches to repair the rears..

The trailing edge didn't match up very well so i made a kind of flare to join the arches to the rear quarters...

I only seem to have a pic of one side... the welding isn't great i know but it does the job....and there's always some filler to be had ;)

I then welded up the bottom of the A-posts (no pics as i was having a nightmare day of it) and trial fitted the fibre glass wings....awful fit on one and not so great fit on the other. I spent most of the day chopping bits out to get them to fit but managed it in the end...I finished the day repairing the ends of the front valence with these little panels I had made up to bolt the wings to . . .

So then followed a marathon of filling and rubbing down, and a splash of paint...

The wife chose the colour, it's meant to be 'Tiffany box blue', but it's more green...or blue... i can't tell to be fair . . .
It is brushed on, with a high quality brush, to minimise brush stokes, and the paint has been thinned 50/50, It's going well so far, plenty of rubbing with 2000 grit inbetween coats, I may just get it flat enough to polish in time for next years show at Market Harborough . . . who knows, I'll keep you posted :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:26 am

Lots of progress...... Looking good. :)
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby lord13 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:13 am

Totally disillusioned with the whole thing today . . .
Been giving it some thought and the Idea was to get a ticket on it and drive it till winter sets in, then take it off the road and fit a modern engine/box etc. That would cause it to lose VHI status, and possibly make it need an IVA due to trans tunnel mods etc, thus losing it's identity, which I do not want.

In hind sight I should've bided my time and bought an OHC viva or something else, a victor or something, as that would have had the engine size at least if not the gearing that i want. Plus a 5 speed zf would go in without modding the hell out of it and losing VHI or it's identity...

So, I really don't know what to do now, do I just say what the hell and mod it, or give up, let someone else take it on, and restore it to original? It wouldn't take too much work, possibly just take off my paint and respray it fit high top wings ( if you wanted to ) and a bit more MOT work if needed and that's it . . .

suggestions...and offers...most reluctantly welcome :(
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:54 am

I don't think this new 'no MOT' is as bad as you think. What you could do is to buy all the OHC running gear over the next few months and fit that. That way you can still claim that it is in manufacturer's specification and doesn't need an MOT etc.

As far as fitting a ZF is concerned.....unless you can find one, with all the correct bits and you are willing to pay twice or three times as much as your car is worth just to get 5 gears - forget it. A good 'car' ZF is now fetching £3- £5K alone!

CF van 4 or 5 speed ZF boxes won't fit. The casing is different with the gear change turret in the wrong place, to put it in easy terms, the gear lever comes up where the heater is on the car and it can't be altered.

A better and cheaper 5 speed conversion is the F"$D type 9 or if you can find it the Lotus Esprit type Toyota 5 speed box. You could also get a Getrag 5 speed from a VX 4/90 or Chevette HS but those and all the necessary bits to make them fit into an HC are getting rare and expensive too.

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby droopsnoot » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:18 pm

.. and the Getrag is direct-drive top IIRC, so all you'd get is more gear-changing and no lower revs on the motorway.

The other issue with the ZF is that it's not all that nice a box to use. It stays in my Firenza because that's what it should have, but it's not a box I'd pick to upgrade a four-speed car.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby lord13 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:18 am

I mentioned the zf as it 'would' go in without too much trouble that's all, I was speculating on it not actually planning it, I know they are hen's teeth, I know the CF one is different, and I know all about the Getrag.

To be fair if I actually did go down that route, I'd use a more modern 'box with a fab'd bell housing . . .

But that's all 'by the by', the main fact of the matter is I have got the mardys over it at the moment, I will feel better soon I guess, I'm just 'wallowing' :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby cooperman » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:06 am

Keep going, don't lose heart! Stick with the original running gear, get it on the road and enjoy it, then worry about upgrading. Fight the good fight, onward and upward and all that!
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:13 pm

So anyway back to doing something rather than moaning about stuff . . . . . .

might keep the original wheels as I don't really like alloys and my rostyles wont fit (opel type bought for my cav mk2 but never fitted, will bend the studs), and i cant decide on wether to keep the original embellishers . . .

or use the chrome trims from the rostyles . . .

I have also been indulging in a spot of light experimentation . . . 'light' , geddit? ;)

a little rough and ready but it's a trial run :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:04 pm

Fitted the grill and bumper today

o/s wing a bit too far out

bumper is very slightly bent

It's all coming together at least, obviously wont be a show winner but none of my cars ever are ;)

still thinking of selling, kinda got a hankering for a chevette again . . .
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:37 pm

As you say, 'it's coming together' but I would say coming together very nicely. I love the black painted grille and it really enhances the rectangular headlights, certainly beats converting to twin round lights a way to alter the look of the front end.

The estate side view can look very flat and slab like I would be considering a GT style double stripe in a suitable colour, or even a Brabham type short stripe.

I reckon you hankering for a Chevette is only because you want something to hang your Opel wheels on! :lol:

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration