Wing (fender) liner

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Wing (fender) liner

Postby jpsmit » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:26 pm

Good Morning friends, this morning (morning here :) ) I am wondering about wing (fender) liners.

Over the years I have been on this forum I have seen numerous references to Inner wings - which in my terminology is the metal that I would see when I opened the hood (bonnet) and looked to the right or left.

I have also read conversations about wing liners - which I believe are some substance other than metal which goes in the wheel well to prevent mud and other debris from being flung into the cavities of the car.

If I recall correctly, people have adapted volvo liners to work for their cars?

Is this true? were liners used on HBs? (GTs?)

If so, are there templates or pictures?

thanks all.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Re: Wing (fender) liner

Postby GAV » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:25 pm

Hi my experience of wing liners wasnt a happy one. I was running a three litre Granada Automatic which with the Essex V6 was quite thirsty, and saw for sale a Fiat 127 Sport with Radbourne Abarth bits, And it was dead cheap so as I did a bit of Club sprinting it seemed ideal.
I took it to a local club meet on a disused WW2 Airfield at Matching Green and it got me fastest time in class. I was on shift work so could always take part, so used the Fiat too and from work as really the Sweeney type Ford I used more for towing.
Trouble was when next at Matching the thing hit a bump litterally went up on two wheels and then clearly the rear wheel camber was far more negative than the trailing arm should have given, in fact it was oversteering like a Triumph Vitesse I once owned , so I stopped off at my Mum,s bungalow en route home.
Stripping off the plastic inner panel on the back right reavealed a rather large piece of rusted metal had broken free, with the shock absorber still attached.
I guess that was the Italian’s answer to the reputation garnered when their cars were using poor quality Russian Steel and Lancia in particular with the Beta had garnered such an awfull reputation.
In fact up till recently they were selling em badged as Chryslers.
GAV
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:10 am

I wouldn't have thought that a HB would have had a full "wing liner" installed, as they didn't put them on HCs and you'd expect something like that to have continued. On HC, on the front, there's a panel that closes off the rear end of the wing, so that "stuff" can't get around the door pillar and the side panel of the footwell.

I haven't fitted them in either of mine after the rebuild, because I like to be able to see what's in there, and hose it out regularly. Sure, more stuff can get in there, but I just know that if I close it off with the panel, it'll put me off removing it to check periodically. The issue on some of the HCs is that the seal around the top of the panel degrades, stuff gets around it and sits at the bottom of the wing, rotting out from there.

1972nail made some full liners on his car, though there's a lot more catchment area with those wide arches.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jpsmit » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:52 pm

So, did the HB's not have liners?
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby Johnboy HB » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:11 pm

Not a full liner, no, same as HA & HC a ' splash' panel that went up the back of the wing to protect the door hinge post
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jpsmit » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:33 pm

Johnboy HB wrote:Not a full liner, no, same as HA & HC a ' splash' panel that went up the back of the wing to protect the door hinge post

Could someone please post a pic?
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby Johnboy HB » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:27 am

Here's a pic
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jpsmit » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:35 pm