'79 HC Starter Motor

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

'79 HC Starter Motor

Postby nick_smith » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:55 pm

As title states, I'm looking for a starter motor for my 1979 HC 1256. The starter that came off of mine is a Lucas M35J.

I'm looking for some advice on the best place/places to buy one from - new or secondhand.

Any help is much appreciated.
Viva la viva
nick_smith
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: '79 HC Starter Motor

Postby 1972nail » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:57 pm

There are loads of threads on the forum on this subject...... It's not like FB.....you can search the Forum. :D
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Fred Dukes » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:26 am

Club spares would have things like that so get your membership filled in and away you go - as David says lots of advice on here!
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Bob perry » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:04 pm

Welcome to the forum Nick, there's a pretty good , and friendly, bunch of helpers on here, and Fred is your best bet to go through for Spares, so liase with him mostly, although I do have an excellent contact in Guildford for reconditioning starters etc., if he can't help, or you are too desperate to wait for Club help.

That starter was also used on other Viva models, it's on my HA for instance, and other vehicles, Moggys and triumph heralds etc., so shouldn't cause a problem.

Whereabouts in West Sussex are you? it's not too far from me., and there are a few other viva nuts I that part of the world as well.

Maybe we could have a meet up in the summer? A viva convoy to Market Harborough perhaps??

Bob HA130
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby ADRIAN » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:06 pm

If your starter motor is an inertia type, then these are still available from your local motor factors as they are same as MINI (Rover Mini - aka italian jobs that is) They are NOT the same as any Triumph or Morris Minor.
Adrian
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Bob perry » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:36 pm

Sorry Adrian, I stand corrected.
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:35 pm

I have a mini starter motor on my HB it's a nine tooth instead of the ten tooth that came off but it works fine
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby nick_smith » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:01 pm

1972nail wrote:There are loads of threads on the forum on this subject...... It's not like FB.....you can search the Forum. :D

Thanks, I have got one now. Some useful info available on the forum including this thread:
http://www.vauxhallviva.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=27149&p=108596&hilit=hc+starter+motor#p108596

Fred Dukes wrote:Club spares would have things like that so get your membership filled in and away you go - as David says lots of advice on here!

Thanks Fred, I'm already a member of the club

Bob perry wrote:Welcome to the forum Nick, there's a pretty good , and friendly, bunch of helpers on here, and Fred is your best bet to go through for Spares, so liase with him mostly, although I do have an excellent contact in Guildford for reconditioning starters etc., if he can't help, or you are too desperate to wait for Club help. That starter was also used on other Viva models, it's on my HA for instance, and other vehicles, Moggys and triumph heralds etc., so shouldn't cause a problem.Whereabouts in West Sussex are you? it's not too far from me., and there are a few other viva nuts I that part of the world as well. Maybe we could have a meet up in the summer? A viva convoy to Market Harborough perhaps?? Bob HA130

Hi Bob, mine was certainly beyond reconditioning. If I find the time I'll post a picture on here. Has to be seen to be believed! I'm based in Bognor Regis, glad to hear that there are some other Viva's about in the area - haven't seen any in a few years! A summer meet up sounds great, not sure I trust mine enough for a 320m round trip yet.

ADRIAN wrote:If your starter motor is an inertia type, then these are still available from your local motor factors as they are same as MINI (Rover Mini - aka italian jobs that is) They are NOT the same as any Triumph or Morris Minor.
Adrian

Cheers Adrian, went down this route in the end. Initially seemed like they weren't locally available.

Johnboy HB wrote:I have a mini starter motor on my HB it's a nine tooth instead of the ten tooth that came off but it works fine

Appreciated Johnboy! Got her going again today! :D
Viva la viva
nick_smith
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby ADRIAN » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:35 pm

Yes, I know they are not the same as Triumph or Minor, as apart from my 4 HB's, I also own a Herald Convertable and a Morris Minor Convertable too!!
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby nick_smith » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:01 am

Can anyone please recommend a reliable brand and place to buy?

The one I fitted only a couple of years ago has died already and the club don’t seem to have any at present.
Viva la viva
nick_smith
SL Viva
SL Viva

Next

Return to Mechanical