Friends, Englishmen, Countrymen

If you're new say a bit about yourself. :welcome2:

Friends, Englishmen, Countrymen

Postby Floyd » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:42 pm

Hello people of the internet,

I am new to the forum and I'm in the process of joining the club.

I'm 18 years old and recently become the owner of my first car.
A beautiful 1159 Viva HB Deluxe from 1968.

As I am a young lad looking for his first car I was looking at insurance quotes for different cars. I knew I wanted a Viva after finding out that insurance for it was comparably significantly cheaper than (more or less) any other car, be it a 2014 Ford Fiesta or Hyundai i20. The insurance was just absolutely ridiculous for a new driver (I've been quoted well in excess of £3000 per year for 1 liter small hatchbacks)

I can already see a few advantages:
(Much) Cheaper insurance
Zero road tax
No black box
No MOT (as of May 2018)
Downright cool factor

How did I come across this epiphany?

Well funny story that...
On my 18th birthday I learned of my dads prized possession, hidden away for 20 years in our garage.

A Mk 1.5 Viva GT, with a rather special engine. A 2.3 Chevette HSR Slant 4.
It had not been run for all that time it was stored away.
More on that car in another thread if people want to hear about it.
<EDIT: here is that post on the Viva GT viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27940 >

The point being that I was inspired to try a quote for a Viva HB and before I knew it - everything fell into place.
So I got out and about to try and find the best Viva I could get my hands on.
It was early January 2018 when I could haul this baby home:

I have already started the process of restoring it and I have big big plans for it in the future...

Oh and the car's called Floyd.
Every time I've been out to see/work on my car, there's been a rainbow and I've been listening to The Dark Side Of The Moon, I'll let you work out the rest.
<EDIT: I have created an Instagram account dedicated to Floyd to help document the journey. Major updates will be posted here on the forum. Feel free to check it out and/or give it a follow http://www.instagram.com/floyd.1968 >

Last edited by Floyd on Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:31 pm, edited 8 times in total.
For more regular updates see www.instagram.com/floyd.1968
Floyd
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Friends, Englishmen, Countrymen

Postby rizzo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:27 pm

Hi there, and welcome to the forum, i think i would give you first prize for a cracking introduction and some great pics of your Viva, perhaps you could tell us a bit more about it? although it looks familiar we don't miss much here.

Its good to get some young blood into this hobby of ours to carry on from us old farts lol, what are your plans for it? will you be keeping it standard or changing a few things?

It would be good to hear a bit more about your dads aswel, have you got any pics etc? and what his plans are? so many questions. :D

Bill
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:19 am

whoop whoop another 4 door :) Welcome to the forum, My first car was a viva also, a 1969 SL, in white,20 odd years later I still have it, somewhere, or whats left of it :) It will serve you well :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:22 pm

I have to agree with Rizzo an excellent introduction to the forum and it looks like a nice car to start you off. regards the HB GT that you Dad has you should be aware that this is the 50th Anniversary of the HB GT and the Viva clubs are campaigning together to assemble as many HB GT's that we can find to mark the occasion at the VBOA Rally at Market Harborough in July :P
As it is unlikely there will be 50 HB GT's all HB's are invited to swell the numbers - you could make a father and son appearance :wink:
Membership forms attached for your consideration
Attachments
InquiryLetter.doc
(29.5 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
Application Form.doc
(34.5 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Colin » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:51 pm

Well done on an excellent purchase and welcome to the club! :D

Your rare HB 4dr looks great. I'm so glad this lovely car has been bought by a young enthusiast.

As Fred says, it would be great to see you and your Dad with both Vivas at the Market Harborough 50th Anniversary gathering in July.

We're trying to write to all the known Viva GT owners (there are only about 70 in the UK) to encourage owners' participation in the event, but again as Fred says, all Vivas are welcome, but in particular all HBs and GTs.

Could I ask what is your Dad's Viva GT's registration number? So I can show that we have brought the event to you and your Dad's attention.

Good luck with you HB and I hope you have many happy years of Vivaing! :goodluck:
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby cooperman » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:59 pm

Congratulations on a fine choice of car, and it looks fantastic. As many, many, people have said before it would be great to see you and your dad at Market Harborough.
Marcus
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Kraken » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:30 pm

Very nice and clean. Would this be the car ending in 332G?
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby GAV » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:37 am

Nice one , car looks fab,however I find it incredible that your Dad kept his special GT a secret for so long.
Good that the release of its secret identity led you on the path to Viva ownership.
I passed my test in one circa 1969, however it took me nye on 34 years to getting around to buying one.

Incidentally I know the owners of the Mk1 and 2 GTs in your instagram link,I did a bit on facebook( c/o Gavin Thomson) and both are in photos posted on there, The owner of the Blue one also owns a quite famous Bedford V8 van.ImageImage
GAV
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Colin » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:36 pm

Kraken wrote:Very nice and clean. Would this be the car ending in 332G?

I've twigged that too, Kraken. I don't think Floyd is keen to publicise his car's identity, but I think you might be correct. :lol:
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Floyd » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:20 am

Colin wrote:
Kraken wrote:Very nice and clean. Would this be the car ending in 332G?

I've twigged that too, Kraken. I don't think Floyd is keen to publicise his car's identity, but I think you might be correct. :lol:

Aren't we all just a little overprotective of our first cars, I'm sure you can understand :lol:
For more regular updates see www.instagram.com/floyd.1968
Floyd
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Next

Return to Say Hello