HB SL 4 door RNJ 835G

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: HB SL 4 door RNJ 835G

Postby lord13 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:00 pm

Scratch that 'plus point' from the last post, they were the wrong ones grrrr.

Anyway, I have decided to employ a 'one job' policy in relation to the viva. I normally go out there and tackle any and everything i see which usually leaves me in a big mess of half finished jobs. So to combat this I only go out there to do 'one job'. I decide what job it will be, and do that job only until it is done, then, if I have time, I can do any other little job that needs doing, and if i don't finish that ...well at least I got my 'one job' done.

Todays job was rear brakes. i.e. fit rear wheel cylinder, manual adjuster and new shoes, plus one brake line. All done rather quickly so I decided to do an extra little job . . .
Namely sort this out . . .

so I made up this little panel . . .

added holes for drainage ...

Cut out the rotten bit and welded the new panel in place . . .

Not too bad a job I think :)

And just because I want to , here is an arty, heavily filtered snap of the old girl a la instagram styley :)

lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby rizzo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:31 pm

That sounds like a good plan you have there, erm did you finish the bonnet? nice repair on the wing.
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:45 am

The bonnet and I are not talking at the moment, I put the bonnet back together... then took it apart again and re did it as i'd made a mistake. It is in a workable state, but not very pretty on the underside, most of the frame was tissue thin and needs quite a lot of small patches to make it good. I have repaired the hinge areas and it all works as it should, but looks a bit of a 'gash job' so I have left it for the time being. I will get back on it and post up pictures when I am satisfied with my work on it. :D
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:25 pm

Well today a milestone was reached, she moved under her own steam....

well ok, she 'lurched' under her own steam, the clutch is stuck on.
So i've been having a little trouble getting the old girl going, various worn parts etc etc, she has been running, but rough and very difficult to start, in fact would only start when being jumped from another car, all other times she would crank slowly and then lock up. If you disconnected the ignition she would spin freely, but connect the ignition and she's back to locking up. This rang a bell with me but i was getting on with other things and kind of ignored it.
So today i decided to tackle it, first port of call, the internet. I knew I knew what the problem was, i just needed my memory jogging, and after various wordings on the google search bar, I saw it. Timing too advanced. This causes the plug to fire too early and impedes the travel of the piston somewhat, jumping from another car gave the starter enough juice to overcome it....possibly, anyway, i adjusted the timing and she started straight away...then died.
Countless tries later, and various 'fiddlings', I deduced it was the fuel. Or to be exact the carb. I had 3 strombergs, one complete, two for spares, so I built a good one out of the three and now she starts on the button everytime. Still runs rough but better than before, so a little tuning needed.
I wanted to move her over to the other side of the drive, mainly because i need the Renault on the concrete to work on it, so i jumped in, put my foot on the clutch and put her in reverse...and hurtled back into the gate :(

Clutch stuck on then :( I'm going to have to drop the gearbox as I live on a quite busy residential street and backing out on to the road and trying to free it with the clutch/brake method is a no no, oh well...the Renault can wait :)

Here's a pic just for the hell of it....steaming away as i'd misplaced the rad cap :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby kriswalsh » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:22 pm

Coming along nicely, nice to see another 4dr in monza red. I was feeling lonely :D
kriswalsh
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lord13 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:02 pm

It's a good deep red isn't it, I like it, unfortunately theres no way it'll get painted for MH so will have to be a warts and all rusted pride type of thing :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:42 pm

lord13 wrote:Well today a milestone was reached, she moved under her own steam....

Clutch stuck on then :( I'm going to have to drop the gearbox as I live on a quite busy residential street and backing out on to the road and trying to free it with the clutch/brake method is a no no, oh well...the Renault can wait :)

Well you could give it the 'brake' treatment without leaving your drive. Put the back up on axle stand, start the engine in 4th gear, get the speedo up to about 40 mph, dip the clutch and jam on the breaks hard and fast. Give it a couple of goes before thinking about dropping the gearbox.

I cable tie the clutch lever at the bell housing down to avoid the dreaded stuck clutch. If you jam the pedal down you're putting the constant strain on the cable.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby hbr341 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:21 pm

Hi
Do as dave says to free your clutch but get it all as hot as possible this will help good luck.

Regards Chris.
hbr341
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lord13 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:34 am

Hey I'd not thought of doing it that way, good call guys :)

Lets hope it doesn't go wrong and fall off the axle stands when i'm doing 40 and hurtle back off the drive!

I think i'll park the Renault directly behind it for safety's sake ;) The horrible french thing is an absolute nightmare and insured fully comp so if the worst does happen at least I can claim ;)

Although i'd look a complete idiot phoning the insurance company...'
'Hi, i'd like to make a claim, someone hit my car whilst it was parked on the road'
'ok sir, do you have the other drivers details?'
'erm......' :D :D :D
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jpsmit » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:28 pm

Off topic but that actually happened to friends of my sister - drove into each other switching cars in the drive. :roll:
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration