HB SL 4 door RNJ 835G

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: HB SL 4 door RNJ 835G

Postby 1972nail » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:46 pm

lord13 wrote:Hey I'd not thought of doing it that way, good call guys :)

Lets hope it doesn't go wrong and fall off the axle stands when i'm doing 40 and hurtle back off the drive!

That's the whole point of axle stands, the car doesn't fall off... but then you knew that anyway. :lol: You'll also be in 4th gear so you will go forward.... house insurance may be easier to claim from anyway....
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby lord13 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:29 pm

yeah , 40 in reverse would be doing some ;)

so today I did as was suggested, up on the stands, start in gear...and apparently that was enough to shift it, not bad eh :)

I now have to remove the gearbox to replace a rattly clutch or release bearing, not sure which it is but it's very noisy :?

and here she is on the other side of my drive
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:17 pm

Good news on the un-sticking exercise. Not sure on the cause of a rattly clutch but could it be that the lever in the bell housing has slipped off it's pivot point and just needs clipping back on?

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby lord13 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:31 am

funny you should mention the clutch fork, it was in a bad way to start with, the little spring clip that holds it on the pivot post was bent almost backwards, and was a devil of a job to get it back to nearly ok while the gearbox and everything was still in place, but I managed it and it holds. It could still be that rattling I guess, but the rattle sounds more 'rotational' if you get what I mean. Either way, to be on the safe side it will need the gearbox coming out, but not yet, the old girl is still refusing to start from cold, despite replacing everything and timing her up properly. I want to get that sorted before i pull her apart again.
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:41 pm

If you've already had the fork out then maybe the lugs on it are not engaged in the slot in the bearing and the bearing is sitting in front of the fork rattling loose.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby lord13 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:45 am

I checked that ... about 3 times as I had a bit of a game lining it all up flat on my back with a torch in my mouth and trying to position it correctly whilst using a hefty pry bar to force the spring clip back into place.

I will have another look the next time she's up in the air.

On a plus note, the old girl is a 'turn key' motor now. Various little annoyances were sorted yesterday, fine adjustment on timing, strip and rebuild carb, etc etc but now she starts on the key, without assistance from my other car. Which is nice.
Unfortunately I think the electric pump I have fitted is too much for the job, I appear to have drained a gallon out of my tank with my attempts to get it running and ticking over. Which to my mind is a bit excessive. I have at least 3 maybe 4 mechanical pumps that can't all be screwed completely, gentle sunday morning job will be to strip and clean them all and try to build at least one from the parts.

The plan is to get a MOT fail as soon as possible so I can tackle the essential items needed for a pass and get her last one under her belt before the MOT exemption nonsense comes into play. I am fully confident in my abilities to check her out myself as I used to work in a MOT station, but I am also fully aware that I am a bit 'hap-hazard' in the way I approach problems...
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:00 pm

not done too much lately, bad weather and all, but today I have been playing with paint, cheap paint, nasty paint, but paint all the same :)
Basically I can't afford a respray yet so I'm just messing around trying to get the old girl looking half ok for MHII in july :)

so she looks like this at the moment...

lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:46 pm

Not much to report...except paint, paint fails...and re paint.

So It'll never get a coat of red for this years MH2, so best i can do is have a play around. So, I thought, it has a GT Bonnet ...so lets get out the matt black :)

A bit to hide the fact that i'm missing the door trims

A bit more on the rear panel... as you do :)

oh as for the number plates, I stripped the old pressed tin ones and repainted those :)

and a bit on the bonnet , I think i've posted one like this before, but in this one it has the modified grill, nearly GT but not quite :)

Looking good??? I think so, except there is a filter or two on that last pic to make it look cool and shiny :)

I'm now about to go and ruin it by painting a massive great white stripe down the side :D wish me luck :D
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:12 pm

I like that..... I'm a fan of driving a work in progress type car and, we did that with our Minor Traveller for 20 years!

A couple of hours work with a polisher and some G3 compound would have the red paint looking a lot better I would think.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby lord13 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:53 am

the paint is literally a rattle can blow over, any excessive polishing will burn through to the original paint, filler spots and all. The doors were very pock marked with rust so were treated and the rust removed leaving big bare metal holes so they got a skim of filler. If the paint comes off it will look like a Dalmatian :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration