HB SL 4 door RNJ 835G

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: HB SL 4 door RNJ 835G

Postby lord13 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:03 pm

so...update time....Ihave been trying to build a GT style center console, here are my efforts :)

First I cut , bent and shaped a bit of scrap ally into a rough idea of what I wanted, after much shaping and cursing with numerous trips out to the car then back to the shed whilst trying to get a goo fit I ended up with this . . .

Then i cut out the gear lever hole . . .

which will nicely take the original gear lever surround . . .

more cutting of holes for the switches . . .

I then chopped up some MDF . . .

Covered the whole thing in 'tasteful' black vinyl, added some bits for the sides and other such stuff ( i took no pictures for all of that as it was a bit of a nightmare, and it still isn't right, more fettling to do) and stuck my dials in and voila ! center console . . .

and fitted . . .

It has to come out again for a bit more 'fine tuning' but it does the job I think :)

And as promised in a previous post, I have ruined it with a dirty great stripe down the side :D

Actually i toyed around with the coach line...I didn't want to do GT stripes...it's not a GT and I don't actually like them ( the stripes not the actual GT)...and I cant paint a straight line even with masking it all off. So I tried a thin white line, looked rubbish. I tried a thicker matt black line....looked rubbish. So I went for a massive white line...still looked a bit rubbish but I like it :D

Reminds me of a 'mexico' stripe ( and a bit 'starsky and hutch') so it's time to get out the cardboard boxes and get some 'action shots' in :D

It has since been 'straightened out' in areas and made neater in others, and all the messy bits where i've gone over the masking tape removed, and all rubbed down to give it that 'worn/aged' look, but I like it...badges next , a good old polish and hopefully a MOT, I know it won't need one soon, but I think I want to get one last ticket on it :D
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jpsmit » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:45 pm

looking good!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby Kraken » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:52 am

Should've given it the full Starsky and Hutch!!
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby rizzo » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:50 am

I quite like the large stripe its a bit different from the norm :goodideasign:
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:45 am

Hey thanks for the positive comments guys :)

Did anyone spot my mistake with the rev counter? I bought it off ebay on a whim, only cost me a quid plus postage, so I didn't really pay it much attention. I fitted it, wired it up and started the car... then i noticed two things, firstly it reads as ticking over at 2500rpm which it definitely isn't, that's also when i noticed the revcounter only goes up to 4000rpm ! whooops, wrong type then. :oops: :oops: :oops:

So i'm in the market for a nice 70mm diameter rev counter that's for a 4 pot. . . I really should pay more attention when i'm hunting out a 'bargain' :oops: :oops: :oops:
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby psl » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:40 pm

Having seen, smelt and heard your more door start and even run, much Vivaing emotion stirred within, alas not enough room at my stable to buy one lol. Good to see your making positive progress sir................keep up the good work
psl
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:12 am

They all have that smell don't they, I saw the memories flooding back and the tear it brought to your eye :D

One will come your way soon sir I am sure, remove that Swedish beast from your drive and use the resulting folding green to purchase one of Vauxhall's finest and you can inhale to your hearts content :)

Anyway . . .not long now and you can have a go in the old girl :D
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Sat May 05, 2018 8:11 am

Not much to report, except various wiring problems that resulted in going through a few fuses, there was a short on the wiring going into the fuse box, and a burnt out wiper motor, both now sorted.

Wing badges now fitted, I forgot to take a 'close-up' but if you can see from the pic, the badges are now predominantly black, with just the raised edges shiny chrome, I think they stand out a bit more. Also a nice set of Rostyles fitted, and with in keeping with the 'worn' look I rubbed them down to bare metal, not completely, i left some areas with a touch of paint on, just for effect you know, not at all because i got bored and wanted them on the car ;) anyway, to preserve the shiny exposed steel i sprayed them with a liberal coat of lacquer :)

Oh, I also remodeled the office ;) the lack of extra clocks all adds to the 'not quite a GT' look i'm after

It's getting there . . . :D
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:29 am

I wrote a massive write up about my trip to the A47 show on monday, about how fraught and stressful it was etc etc and then i clicked 'preview' and as it had been so long in the writing it asked me to log in again...which I did , and it lost all that I had written!!! damn stupid auto log out thingy!

so here's the quick version...

Took car to show....it broke down on the way back...damn car!

ok ok...i guess i'll add a bit more, the viva runs like a bag of proverbial, fine on acceleration, fine on no throttle, cruising along on part throttle...total pants, cough splutter , missing ...just awful.

I changed points and condenser at the show, and as I left it died, totally died, but that was another issue...solenoid busted, so i bumped it into life and continued on. The stuttering and loss of power got worse so i changed back to the old condenser and it improved slightly.

Still runs like *Bleep*...anyway here are some pictures of the old girl at the show...

The other write up was better, funnier, and it far more detail, but to be fair I was probably wasting my breath as no one reads my *Bleep* anyway judging by the tumbleweeds that frequent my thread ..seemingly ever since I painted a white stripe down the side ...funny that eh? If anyone cares i have removed the torana dash and home made center console and put it back to standard, it looks better .
The GT bonnet is staying though, mainly because i don't have a standard one as the car came with the GT bonnet, but I don't appreciate it being pointed out IN THAT TONE everytime I post a picture on the internet, I know it's not a GT. I am not trying to make it into a GT. (4 doors should make that painfully obvious) At least I haven't altered an extremely rare GT from standard. . . which is FINE if you want to do that, it is your car after all....and this one is mine ok? To be honest, I'm in half a mind to cut the GT vents out and weld flat sheet over the holes, it's getting me down all this rivet counting :(
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:31 am

Bad morning ok :(
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration