Door outside window seal

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

Re: Door outside window seal

Postby droopsnoot » Wed May 09, 2018 10:04 am

Mike Attew wrote:Only thing is my car does not have the stainless trim?

That's OK, the original clips would just fit directly into the holes in the reverse edge of the door skin.

I think if the new seals don't have the metal strengthener, I'd be tempted to use David's self-tappers but perhaps through a thin strip of metal to stop it coming away between the screws. Or use more screws.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Wed May 09, 2018 11:01 am

The new strips have a 2 mm thick (approx) stiff plastic strip moulded in so they are stiff enough to retain their shape with self tappers or clips. They don't need to be screwed up tight, just enough to keep them from falling out. I used 4.8mm screws as I had them already, but there may be thicker ones which would grip better in the original slots. As I said, you could use 3.2 mm ones and drill new holes if you're very careful.

Getting access with a screw driver isn't easy due to the angle and position the lip is at in relation to the inner door frame and you need to drop the window right down as well by removing the bottom stop if you want to drill new holes.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby 1972nail » Wed May 09, 2018 11:08 am

Just checked, No 10 x 3/8 are what I used (4.8 x 10 mm). You can get No 12 screws which are 5.5 mm which may grip better but they are only available in 5/8 length which is 16 mm and too long. You'll need to cut them down to about 10 mm or they will hit the outer door skin when screwed in.

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Mike Attew » Wed May 09, 2018 1:21 pm

I reckon the screws are a better idea now, especially with a touch of sikaflex or tiger seal to stop them loosening. Thanks for all the help and ideas. I will now plough on.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Wed May 09, 2018 1:38 pm

The slots in the door are bigger than the screw diameter, the screws are a rattling fit and I would guess even the 5.5 mm ones will be the same. The threads catch but not securely so as I said they do the job well enough in my opinion. I don't think Sikaflex will stop them loosening as it's the catch on the metal slot that 'ratchets' loose rather than the screw turning. The very front ones seem to loosen the soonest and I tweak them quite often. My brother didn't like my idea hence the fitting of clips on his Hatch instead of screws.

I had thought of fitting a metal screw clip to the door behind the slot but the window would need to come out to get them in place so that's not going to happen soon.....

5 or 6 dabs from a hot glue gun might be an idea? Less messy than Tiger Seal and an almost instant stick.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Wed May 09, 2018 1:47 pm

Had another thought...spire clips like this might work in conjunction with self tappers in the existing slots and not add too much thickness.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Mike Attew » Wed May 09, 2018 9:13 pm

They do sound the better idea
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Previous

Return to Bodywork