rear 1/4 window HC 2 door removal

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

rear 1/4 window HC 2 door removal

Postby Mike Attew » Fri May 25, 2018 4:16 pm

How is the rear 1/4 window on an HC Viva 2 door removed?
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: rear 1/4 window HC 2 door removal

Postby droopsnoot » Fri May 25, 2018 6:31 pm

The way I've done it on coupe and estate shells is to first remove the two self-tapping screws in the front edge of the window frame, which I believe might be pop-rivets on some models. Once they're out, I used a selection of flat screwdrivers to gently lift the edge of the rubber and push on the glass with the flat of my hand to help it move. Once it's released all the way around you can start to try to push the window out. I then start to hook a screwdriver behind the edge of the window gap, and another a bit further on. I can then push the edge of the rubber outside the panel join, and do that bit-by-bit until it's all out.

If you're going to use that technique, make sure you go very slowly and don't rush it - it's really easy to break a glass that way if you rush things. Try to do it in a sequence, perhaps pushing a corner first.

I had no trouble removing my estate windows using that method, and they'd been in the car since it was new.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Mike Attew » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:34 am

Finally removed one 1/4 glass, when I put it back what is the sealant used round the frame or the best type now?
Whatever was used before stuck it well.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:27 pm

I just used some clear silicone adhesive, the same stuff I'd used to stick my light covers in, because it's what I had. Originally I didn't use anything, that turned out to be a poor choice.

Keep in mind though that silicone doesn't mix well with paint, so if you're having paint done perhaps look for a non-silicon variant. You really want a sealant rather than an adhesive - you need to block gaps, not stick the window in.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Mike Attew » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:48 pm

I have been looking , I have found this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCREEN-SEAL- ... 1438.l2649 or a similar stuff which is a bead strip . I used to use a similar strip bead which was on backing paper on old series land Rovers in the past so this may be similar.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:54 pm

I would recommend a butyl sealant as used originally.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCREEN-SEAL- ... Sw7GRZAeVj

Oops...same link as yours. :) That's the one I have used in the past and found it easy to add more if needed once the screen is fitted.

I've also used it to seal between the aluminium side panels and the wood on our Minor Traveller when replacing the timbers.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Mike Attew » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:59 pm

Thanks for that, nothing like a recommendation, These Classics just make you do jobs, started with the screen chrome trim, decided rubbers required changing, now the head lining while everything is out. Will get the sealant now so I am ready when it goes back together. :D

This also happened with my Traveller, ended up getting carried away, the headlining was a *Bleep* in that so hopefully the Viva will be easier.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:25 pm

I need to do the headlining in our Traveller....any tips? :lol:
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Mike Attew » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:39 pm

I have some pictures of when I did mine, the back when you start tacking on the first cross member make sure everything is central and gradually work to the sides keeping the stitching the same on the edge all the way across. This is critical as any slight deviation will cause wrinkles at the back. It isn't easy, I tried stapling but went to small tac's as they worked better.
Attachments
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Bodywork