HB SL 4 door RNJ 835G

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: HB SL 4 door RNJ 835G

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:19 am

A thought about your 1265 head on a 1159 block - do all the water way holes line up? On the bigger engines i.e. 2000cc compared with the 2300. there is a difference in position of waterways so you cant use a 2000cc head on a 2300cc block. I can compare a 1159 with a 1256 head gasket if that would help?
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby 1972nail » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:04 pm

Hmmmm, could your gauge be a bit erratic? Could the voltage stabiliser for the fuel and temp gauge be faulty? It's supposed to regulate the voltage to the gauges at about 10 or 11V I think from memory (must look it up sometime, just like coil dwell, Fred :wink: ) If it goes high and sends battery voltage to the gauges the gauges go all over the place as the battery charges and discharges.

If you're using a 1256 head on an HB 1159 engine and gauge then is the sender unit the HB one or an HC one? Are they different? Is it possible to mix a 1256 sender with an HB gauge?

All these may or may not be of relevance but need to be considered.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby lord13 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:37 am

I did check the gasket against the head and the block, apart from slightly different shapes they do all seem to line up properly, I'm not 100% sure it was a 1256 gasket, as it was an unmarked one I found in my spares. but the fire rings on it matched up to the bores on my stripped 1256 so i just guessed it would do. i probably could have got away with a 1159 one, but it seemed a little smaller than the combustion chambers and i was unsure if it would last.

As for the sender unit, i used the one that came with the 1159, I also have a spare one for an 1159, I've used both and get the same readings. I also tested the dash unit as per the training manual guidelines utilising a spare dash connector I've got for testing, it gave favourable results, but i have got on order an aftermarket gauge and sender coming, so i will get that 'plumbed' in and see what that says. I'm also in the process of plumbing in an oil pressure gauge to keep a proper eye on the oil, rather than just trust the light on the dash.

I did not take her out yesterday as the heat here was stifling and the old girl would've probably overheated even if she was running ok , today seems much cooler already :) ...fingers crossed :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:55 pm

Provisionally sold . . .

I'll keep you posted . . .
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jpsmit » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:27 am

lord13 wrote:Provisionally sold . . .

I'll keep you posted . . .

:o :(

sad.

I guess you won't need the grille now.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby lord13 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:01 am

jpsmit wrote:
I guess you won't need the grille now.

Ah , sorry no I won't need that grille now . . . .

It's not all bad news on the viva front, I will be acquiring a new project/toy as part ofthe sale of mine ( if all goes according to plan) ..

The story goes like this...As you all know I have been struggling with the engine on this and at the weekend I was contacted about a possible OHC donor vehicle for sale, one that could lend all its running gear, which was in fine condition, to my humble 'wanna be boy racer' viva. So I went to have a look and sure enough it was all there in fine condition, just itching to be slotted into my HB. The price was fairly reasonable as well, all that was needed was to convince the wife that I just absolutely had to have it :)

Which I did, convince the wife that I had to have it that is.... but not in the way I had originally imagined.

She pointed out the troubles with my shoulder, my back, and the fact that I had spent the best part of the last two weeks cursing my HB, and the fact that the donor vehicle was, to her mind, far far more desirable (she said 'pretty' but I know what she means ;) ) So why go through all that work when, with just a little welding the donor vehicle would suit my needs and wants perfectly, ok so it isn't 'coke bottle' styling, but it did have the twin headlamps I wanted and a bigger and better engine and gear box ( not auto...but you cant have everything) so an agreement was reached, sell the HB and buy the donor with the proceeds...Now although I knew the seller of the donor, I couldn't expect him to wait for me to sell my car, that's just not on, but I rang him and told him what my plan was and if possible could he wait a week or so, if not , no worries etc etc...
Well I got a surprise, he basically said...'shall we just swap? saves you messing about with ebay and I like your HB , however broken it is'...

um.........OK :D :D :D :D :D

If all goes to plan I will be thrashing out the deal good and proper this evening....I'll keep you posted :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:31 pm

Sounds interesting..... Magnum, Firenza, GLS?

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jpsmit » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:00 pm

Interesting indeed - at least you aren't leaving the fold. Keep us posted.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby lord13 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:44 am

Took the wife and kids out for a drive the other day, the sun was out and it was so hot we were literally melting, I thought we could all do with a treat so I stopped for ice cream. The wife and kids all had cornettos, but I'm not keen on them , so I bought a Magnum . . .

;)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:38 am

Congratulations, that will be a nice car and I wish you health and wealth to enjoy it properly. :)

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration