HC Tidy Up (MOT Passed!)

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: HC Tidy Up (MOT Passed!)

Postby Kraken » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:22 pm

Yes Gav there is a basic HC model, as this one is going by the chassis number. Moulded rubber matting instead of carpet. I believe seats have been swapped out at some point because I think my seats are that of a Deluxe?

And thank you Steve, I believe my carb is set half-decent now.

I call upon people for some guidance now though!
I am getting intermittent problems with running (usually when hot), hesitation and lack of power, engine sounding very very lumpy. My first thought was possibly my carb tuning, which I have played with some more and I would say the running is better, but the problem is definitely still there...

Another thought I had is the valve clearances? My brother did them when we did the head, and I think we did it to 0.008", but is it possibly that this could be too tight depending on wear?

And finally what I would really like to know...
The wire between the starter solenoid and coil looks to have had a very bad connection. Car will start and run with it connected or disconnected. My car is fitted with electronic ignition, so should this be disconnected? And if it should be disconnected, is it possible that this has damaged my coil?

Was hoping to go along to a drive-it-day tomorrow but that's not happening!

Edit: Also while poking around I found a 3-pin connector hanging loose near the alternator, any idea what this is for?
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:43 am

Hot rough running can be down to few things but the first I would check are the inlet manifold to carb and head bolts, make sure they are tight.

Also the ignition timing, vacuum advance system, the mixture setting as it could now be too weak, and finally check the inlet manifold itself. They can become porous where the exhaust gasses pass up through them to provide a hot spot. That can eventually burn through.

Have you bypassed the resistance wire when fitting electronic ignition? If you have then did you fit a non ballast coil? Again, if you have then the wire on the solenoid has been bypassed and will not be carrying any current and won't have any effect on the running of the engine, connected or not. It's safer to keep it connected as it is live and may short out if left dangling.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Kraken » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:30 pm

Thanks, I'll look at the manifold next then, and also order up a couple new diaphragms for the carb although I think i checked that a few weeks ago and it was okay.

The timing should be correct as I set adjusted it not too long ago.

I haven't got the foggiest when it comes to vacuum advance, but I'll have a read of my Haynes manual and see what i can do.

And yes I have bypassed the ballast wire and fitted the correct coil - followed the guide for that one.
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:44 pm

Vacuum advance is simple. Check the pipes for any cracks of splits which could cause an air leak then take the pipe of the carb end and suck it, it should give resistance and if you can see the distributor while doing this you'll see the base plate moving (cap off)

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Kraken » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:34 pm

So I removed the pedal box from Beigey to replace the bushes and found that the hole the shaft goes through had worn oval.

Ground the flange flush and welded on a 3mm plate with a 16mm hole drilled out.
Replaced the worn pedal shaft as well with a good second hand one from Fred.
Re-enforced the pedals while everything was out:

And a nice picture of the pedalbox back together and resprayed:

Then I took the car out for a drive to find that nothing worked properly anymore.

Clutch - Worked okay, but when you pushed the pedal all the way down you could hear something chewing at itself.
Brakes - These were now sometimes working, sometimes not, sometimes spongy, sometimes not. I thought possibly I had disturbed the seal on the master cylinder and air may have got into the system. There was no signs of fluid anywhere though.
Accelerator - This was just its normal, tempermental self.

So I was not happy.

Then yesterday I went to investigate everything.

Clutch - Now sorted, just needed adjusting. Still needs a new return spring for the clutch fork as it has stretched, but it's all working again. Strange coincidence after having the pedal box out?

Brakes - Also now sorted. Linings had come off of both shoes on the front passenger side. New shoes in and brakes are working again. Another strange coincidence that this happened while the pedalbox was out??

Accelerator - All was working well yesterday. I could put my foot right to the floor and get a nice smooth acceleration. Doubt it will last though!
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:00 pm

The oval hole is a common pedal box problem as well as fractures of the clutch cable mounting. I think snoopdroop has used bronze bushes to combat the oval problem and usually a big washer which sandwiches between the cable and the bulkhead and transfers the load to the bulkhead instead of the pedal box sorts the fracture problem.

Hmmm, the bit you left open and un-reinforced on the clutch pedal is the bit that tends to bend.... The rest usually survives OK.

It tends to buckle inwards and the finger that connects to the cable twists. This causes the cable to be pulled through the hole at an angle and wear through the strands of the inner cable.

Seam welding the 'finger' and a small approx 1" square plate over the top end of the open section with a gusset to the finger is usually all that's needed.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Kraken » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:15 pm

1972nail wrote:The oval hole is a common pedal box problem as well as fractures of the clutch cable mounting. I think snoopdroop has used bronze bushes to combat the oval problem and usually a big washer which sandwiches between the cable and the bulkhead and transfers the load to the bulkhead instead of the pedal box sorts the fracture problem.

Hmmm, the bit you left open and un-reinforced on the clutch pedal is the bit that tends to bend.... The rest usually survives OK.

It tends to buckle inwards and the finger that connects to the cable twists. This causes the cable to be pulled through the hole at an angle and wear through the strands of the inner cable.

Seam welding the 'finger' and a small approx 1" square plate over the top end of the open section with a gusset to the finger is usually all that's needed.

Yes there was already a large washer on the clutch cable at the bulkhead so we're good there.

As for missing the bit which usually bends... :oops:

That's a problem for another day though!
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:34 pm

As for missing the bit which usually bends...

Well, if it hasn't bent yet then don't worry. It's the OHC clutches that usually bend pedals anyway. The stiffer pedals will add to the feel and pleasure of driving too.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Kraken » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:03 pm

You've been very good with info throughout this thread David, so thank you.

Had a little drive to the Brewdog brewery, had a non-alcoholic pint while enjoying the view of the Viva out and about, and then drove home.

Engine was running beautifully again tonight. I'm wondering if my last lot of tinkering with the carb maybe cured my issues, I doubt it, but time will tell.
I realised today as well that I can't heel-toe when I downshift in the Viva because of the floor mounted pedal.
The pedalbox is lovely now though with the oval hole fixed, new shaft and bushes.
It will be even better once I have a new clutch spring!

Overall happy chappy.
Maybe a wash tomorrow?
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:31 am

Ownership of older cars is all about the pleasure of driving isn't it.... 8)

I've been driving our Minor Traveller as my 'short journey car' for the past few weeks and I'm beginning to think why would I want to drive anything else?.....apart from the Firenza of course.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration