Strange

Tips and help requests for your cars electrics. Post your tips help other sort problems out.

Strange

Postby HC Fairley » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:10 am

Looking another opinion..... Went to install a new accuspark electronic ignition kit yesterday. When I went to bypass the resistance wire at D4 I accidentally pulled a white wire out of C4, furthermore I have no white wire in D4 to move to D5. Anyways I put the white wire back into C4 and now when I start the car it doesn't turn off at the key..... Back to running on points and original coil due to problems with accuspark unit so everything is exactly as it was before I started. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Strange

Postby 1972nail » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:26 pm

Strange indeed....There isn't a white wire in C4. Are you sure that it wasn't the one from D4 you pulled out? The ID of the rows is a confusing. Have a look at the photos in this post to ID the correct wire. There are 5 rows in the top connector A-E.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22328&hilit=resistance+wire

The Accuspark needs a really good earth to the base plate to work properly as the Hall sensor inside grounds through the base plate. Check that the earth wire originally connected at the condenser is still connected between something on the base plate and the distributor body.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby HC Fairley » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:47 pm

Ahh 72nail good afternoon. I took another look at your resistor bypass thread and then my own terminal block and it's definitely in C4, first row that turns into 5 slots for wires. when I pull it out of C4 the car will not run as power is only going to the coil when the starter is engaged, once I let go of the key the power to the coil cuts out... As for the accuspark unit I had the resistor wire under the unit and screwed down in the exact same place the condenser is screwed down
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:49 pm

C4 is a connection to a permanent live source. Is it possible that the wire on the bottom connector in D4 (on the end of the dash loom, below the bulkhead connector) has come out, and someone has just moved the wire to C4 to get things going in the past?

Unlike C4 (which is on a 12v bus and also connected directly to C3 and C5), D4 is just a direct pass-through, so if there's no connection from underneath then there's nothing else giving it power, except the temporary by-pass during starting. I guess as well as the pin coming out of the connector underneath, it could be a problem with the cable somewhere further into the loom.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:37 pm

I think we've solved the problem Mike, been chatting to Ethan on FB and he thinks he has mistakenly fitted the wire back in C4 as he thought it had come out of there originally before fitting the Accuspark. So, that mystery is solved....I think!
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby HC Fairley » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:14 pm

Thanks for the help Gents. Well as it turns out I got confused at the terminal block and in true rookie style pulled the white wire out of D4 and managed to convince myself to put it back into C4 which as stated above is constant power lol. Just bypassed the wire by putting it into D5 and fitted Lucas gold coil and car is running just grand now. I'm just glad I can turn it off with the key again instead of stalling it and removing the battery terminal!!
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Electrical help