This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: 1965 Viva SL

Postby Bob perry » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:20 pm

My grille has an additional moulding below it, about 1 inch wide and the width of the grille, and shaped upwards at the end almost over the indicator lights. Didn't notice, are the indicators white or orange? Orange are the later ones.
It also has two thinner mouldings above the grill , one either side of the bonnet release pull.

I will dig out the mouldings and see what I have.

As regards the neg/positive earthing debate, there was a chassis no break when they became negative earth. Mine is certainly neg earth and was registered May 1966.

I will see if I can find out chapter and verse on it, I know I have it in one of my Manuals, unless the tech section of the forum can be of use?
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lord13 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:41 am

I have the bottom one, it is about an inch wide, but no top trim. There may be more spares to follow from the seller, as he is clearing out the sheds and has told me if he comes across anything else that is not needed for their other HA he will let me know.

If you have anything bright work wise then that would be great, just drop me a PM and we can sort out the details from there :)

I didn't get any front indicators, and no headlamps either. Nor did I get any wiper arms or blades. I have seen some on ebay but i'm not sure of the length. are they the same length as HB ones? There are two sets on ebay, one looks shorter than the other, I'm keeping my eye on both, they are up for pennies at the moment so I may just buy both and see which fits best. Do you know if they are the same fitment as mini ones? I'm only asking as I can get brand new ones for a mini for about £20 :)

In other news...
I decided to go with my assumption that it was negative earth, or had already been flashed to neg earth, . My reasoning? Well it has two wires for the coil, which according to my book denotes it as neg earth, and the extra 'live' clamp that was possibly waiting to be fitted. Coupled with the fact that the 'pos' earth clamp had been pinched closed a hell of a lot, which to me states that the previous owner had done it up as tight as possible to clamp it on the smaller 'neg' earth post.. . . possibly.
Anyway, I changed the 'live' clamp for the larger type, and changed the ground clamp to the smaller type, fitted a battery, chucked some petrol down the carb and turned the key....

She fired :D

So I connected up my electric pump that i have for these such situations, connected it to the carb and stuck the inlet feed into a 5l can. . . She runs...although I couldn't run it for long as it was late evening and the HA's exhaust ends just after the gearbox...she was a tad loud.

So, a runner then, this is getting better and better :) I'm very happy with my purchase. :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:57 am

It does make you smile when things go well. We can almost see the grins on your face from here..... :D
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Bob perry » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:31 pm

I have some spare arms and blades, chrome, and, black, plus some spare indicator lamps.

Might be best if we have a chat sometime and a sort out. Might be interested in anything that come up spares wise, so we can swop or whatever.

P.M. me and I will forward my mobile.

Bob
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lord13 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:56 am

PM'd you mate :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Bob perry » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:15 pm

Knew I had it somewhere. The break point for HA Vin numbers, positive to Negative is HAS/D6151620.
Hope that helps.
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lord13 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:43 am

Mines a '5' number, so I'm guessing originally pos earth, but everything points to it having been converted to neg earth, so I'm going with that :) It fires up and runs ...sort of... so it probably is right :?

Anyway, I have been investigating the spares I have and I have a complete brand new exhaust system....almost.

I have the downpipe already fitted to the car, an intermediate pipe, a back box, and a tail pipe.
What I don't have is the mid box, and the funny over axle link pipe that goes from the back box to the tailpipe.
So exhaust fitting will have to wait until I have found those bits.
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Bob perry » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:48 am

I've had a search in the garage, and I have a full set of side chromes for the SL, uppers and lowers! Not in the greatest of shape, but presentable, and better than none. I also have one upper moulding for the front grille and a side wing badge, and boot badge 'Vauxhall' with the two screw holes.
The special clips you can get from Green Parts Vauxhall.
I can't find the wiper arms and blades though, think I must have put them in the box of stuff I gave to Fred, so I'm sure he can help you on quite a bit of the stuff you need. He also has an exhaust contact!

I will ring you during the week to have a chat.
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jpsmit » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:05 am

I might have the wiper arms if you can't find anything closer. (yours for shipping though)
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby lord13 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:17 am

Bob perry wrote:I've had a search in the garage, and I have a full set of side chromes for the SL, uppers and lowers! Not in the greatest of shape, but presentable, and better than none.

Brilliant news mate, brilliant news :D

I managed to pick up a couple of badges from Billing on saturday, but yours may be in better shape and it's always a good idea to have a couple spare , I also managed to find the over axle link pipe for the exhaust, or at least a piece of pipe that follows pretty much the exact curve needed :)

thanks for digging those out, i look forward to your call :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration