Billing 2018 'Vauxfest'

Tell us all about what's happening and what you did

Billing 2018 'Vauxfest'

Postby lord13 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:12 am

I only nipped in on the Saturday as I was passing, a little dissapointed in the lack of cars but assumed more would turn up on the sunday.
The Autojumble was lacking in size also, maybe more would come sunday, but the 'jumblers' are usually there for the weekend aren't they, so possibly that was going to be all that were there. In saying that, I did manage to get a few good bits for my HA, all very reasonably priced, and there were some good rare HB bits to be had also, ( under dash switch panel for example, I was tempted to buy it anyway and squirrel it away for future use but I though 'no, leave it for someone who needs it')

All in all not a bad hour was spent, yes only an hour, there just wasn't that much there . . .

I hope more will turn up today ( sunday) as I've always liked going to Billing, I've tried to go every year since '96 when I first went, I've not always managed it, but I've been to most, even if it's only for a couple of hours, and I know this wasn't 'Billing' proper ( i.e. V.B.O.A.), but I've missed going. It's a far superior venue to Market Harborough in my opinion, and the V.B.O.A. show suffers greatly from not being held there anymore.

Anyway...here are a few pictures :)

And it looks like Vivas travel in pairs for safety ;)

So there you go, not many considering it was 2pm on day 1 of the show, but as I left a decent looking Nova and an immaculate HB GT showed up so it was looking up :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: Billing 2018 'Vauxfest'

Postby edgoose1 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:35 pm

Yes i went Sunday. Was a good day )
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:35 pm

Were there many more there? The field was nearly empty on saturday.
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby edgoose1 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:01 pm

edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:45 pm

edgoose1 wrote:https://www.facebook.com/events/148216089168647/

Being supported by the VBOA

Is it????? Where did you see or hear that?
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby lord13 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:21 pm

Richard Watt, the organiser of Vauxfest has put a disclaimer up stating that the V.B.O.A. are NOT involved, however if they want to promote it as a stand alone vauxhall show I can't see how that will do any harm, but they are NOT involved in any way.

In my opinion, Vauxfest has the potential to eclipse the official V.B.O.A. Market Harborough show as MH was pretty abysmal both years. They just don't have the quality of venue, it needs to move to a proper showground such as Newark or Peterborough, and not be in a field with portaloos ( which were a disgrace ). I will go to MH next year if it still happens, but only for a day, I AM poised to book for all days of Vauxfest as soon as next years dates are up :) It was good to be back at Billing :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby redfirenza » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:58 am

Looks like the weather was fab, its always good to have more Vauxhall dedicated shows!

A few people have said how bleak MH is and that its not really a family show venue?
redfirenza
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby lord13 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:50 pm

yeah, I'd have thought that a V.B.O.A. show would be more than a bare field with a few portaloos, especially as it is supposed to be the biggest show on the calendar, they only went with Market Harborough because its cheap. Both Newark and Peterborough showgrounds are very much in the centre of the country with excellent routes in and out. Both have the A1 close at hand and Peterborough has the A47,close by, plus the M11, and A14 link up with the A1 not far from Peterborough, and both venues have proper washing and toilet facilities. It was a case of lowest bidder wins I think, at the expense of the show.
Vauxfest on the other hand has the excellent facilities at Billing, plus all the other attractions.
There is nothing to do at Market Harborough except sit around waiting to leave...
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:41 pm

lord13 wrote:There is nothing to do at Market Harborough except sit around waiting to leave...

Well, I found some cars to look at, did you miss them? :lol:

I believe that the sponsorship had a lot to do with the venue too and that probably made it 'cheap'. Anyway, I would agree that MH is a bit 'bleak' but certainly this year was way better set out than last year and I've been told that the VBOA did a lot to provide various entertainment experiences for those staying on site during the evenings.

I found that because there were no permanent type landmarks on the field, like buildings, roads, trees etc working out where you were at and where you need to go to get to certain places was a challenge. I was there both days and didn't fully get to grips where everything was in relation to each other, I can see how that type of uncertainty would make the experience for one day visitors less enjoyable than it should have been.

The MH land is owned by the council isn't it? and it's supposed to be the new County Showgrounds I believe? Well, it's about time they started doing something to improve the facilities.

If we want to have a Club Event, have a large Club stand, which is properly organised, run and supported then Vauxfest isn't the show, no matter how appealing the venue might be. We will have to stick it out and see where the VBOA decide to hold the National rally next year and I would say MH will still be on the short list.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:00 pm

As David says Vauxfest does not cater for the Club Stand - if you want a community atmosphere and want to meet members of your club you aren't going to get that with a field full of individual entries. I am not sure what it is you want to do Mitch :?: We provide a club stand, there is an opportunity to chat to other Viva owners and see what they have been doing with their cars, there is a Club AGM - an opportunity to have your say or volunteer to help run the Club - I believe there was our traditional intellectual quiz night - there are prizes for exhibitors - out around the field there were lots of other club stands well worth visit and some autojumble for a good rummage :P
I recall in the past all the same complaints were made about the toilet and showering facilities at Billing - the reason perhaps they were "excellent" at the Vauxfest could be that the low numbers of exhibitors enabled the usual overuse facilities to be adequate.
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Next

Return to Events