This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: 1965 Viva SL

Postby lord13 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:19 am

jpsmit wrote:I might have the wiper arms if you can't find anything closer. (yours for shipping though)

Thanks mate, but I have managed to get a pair of eBay . . . although not entirely sure of the condition as the pictures were very small...I'll see when they turn up, I'll bear yours in mind if I cant find a decent set over here :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:24 am

I also managed to get a pair of front indicators, a spare coil with ballast resistor ( my resisitor was missing on mine ), a regulator control box ( i only need the cover ), and the piece of angle iron that is the battery clamp, all from billing, all for just over a tenner :)
Plus i have managed to get a pair of bonnet 'bump stops' from ebay for a couple of quid , all in all not too bad so far :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:54 pm

So a little bit of an update...

Had some issues with fueling, seems the carb wasn't up to scratch, so I stripped and cleaned it. Can't have done a very good job as the issue was still there, so decided to try a carb I picked up from an autojumble last year for a fiver, It needed a bit of a clean also, plus the acc pump off the other carb, and a few bits of linkage. So after playing around with it for a bit I bolted it on and started it up. It ran a hell of a lot better than before but still an issue with spluttering and coughing, but at least some of the other issues were sorted.
So I thought I'd better check the timing as it would only run with the throttle half open, wouldn't tick over. and bogged down massively on acceleration. I thought i'd better cover all the bases...sure enough timing was out....massively , on tick over it was about 15 deg after top dead ( well a lot anyway), and on half throttle it was on 5 deg before top dead. so that's why it'd only run on throttle, the centrifugal advance was taking it up to proper timing territory :) The clamp was loose, and not bolted to the block, so I sorted that and now it runs sweet... not bad eh :)

Oh no! the bonnet is in primer and so is the front panel....and the only paint I have is satin black! what am I to do???

:D :D :D

I may have got some on the rear panel too...

Whoops ;)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:26 pm

Are you going for the 'bay racer' look.....at your age? :oldage:
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby pbottomley » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:51 pm

Invest in the right colour paint, thats what to do

:thanx:
pbottomley

Postby lord13 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:09 pm

Hey!! I'm 19 in my head...always have been....
And i'm looking for the right colour paint as we speak.... although I am a little colour blind (shades don't register much with me ) :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:59 pm

Yeah, light blue is just a shade of black.... :lol:

I know what it's like trying to protect a car that has to live outside while being painted and repaired. Unless you're properly prepared you use anything to hand until you can do it properly, no point in wasting expensive top coat just to rub it off again in a few weeks.

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby psl » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:12 pm

Come on Mitch, need more updates and pictures, as this is the only Vauxhall resto thread I'm following and need my fix.
psl
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:52 pm

Ahh sorry my friend, but I've not been doing much on it, well not much you can see anyway. I've been just been tidying little areas, gathering parts etc. . . . I was only going to post up major changes etc

To be honest I was in two minds whether to update this thread at all, there's hardly any interest or activity on this forum any more...all the club traffic is on Facebook and I don't want to post too much of my business on there as it's a howling *Bleep* hole of dickheads and keyboard warriors that have a mental age of 5, and that's being nice...
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:56 pm

lord13 wrote: ....keyboard warriors that have a mental age of 5, and that's being nice...

My sentiments entirely. I like the friendly chat we have here in 'Forum Land'. I also like the permanency of the threads and the ability to search and find stuff you remember reading a year or two ago. I like the ability to follow a resto and go back over it again to refresh my memory and understanding of the extent of the work.

But we are in a Social Media world and that means the forum is getting much less traffic than it used to do. So it's up to us, the Forum Warriors, to keep it alive, up to date and relevant to what's going on.

So, back to the topic of the thread..... I need my fix too.... so keep posting HERE please.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration