This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: 1965 Viva SL

Postby lord13 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:02 am

Slight update...

Here is the panel made to repair the door...

I made it slightly larger than the hole i'm going to cut in the door and have 'joddled' the edge so it will sit under the door skin, providing extra strength and enabling me to 'spot weld' it on so as not to run the risk of distorting the panel...well that's the idea anyway :wink:

And here is the door cut ready to receive it . . .

I would've got it all welded up as well but number 2 son lost his bus pass and was stranded at college, then number 2 daughter needed to go to brownies etc etc ....kids huh :|
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:32 am

so...a bit more door fettling...
Here's the panel tacked in place

Here's a nice little repair section around the quarter light ...

now welded in place . . .

And here's how I filled my over enthusiastic drilling of the spot welds.

A gaping hole in frame with a piece of copper pipe clamped behind it...

Filled with weld . . .

And now ground smooth . . . (although the camera on my phone decided to focus on the background)

So all's good right?

Nope...

That nice repair panel in the skin of the door was wrong, it was far too flat, and would have required copious amounts of filler to get the infinitesimal curvature of the door right. So I took it off and bent it... not to badly just enough to get a curvature. Then I tacked it back in..... and added a few more welds...then a bit more, it was all starting to go wrong, puling the original skin out of shape. Grrrrr ...so I applied heat, with a few spacers behind it, which pulled it back to shape nicely. Sort of, there was a ripple that i could not flatten completely so I still had to use more filler than i wanted to. But it was still coming along nicely.... there were still dimples and low spots, and this is where i noticed a couple of other dents and dimples previously unnoticed in the door, which would amount to rubbing down the whole thing and flatting it all back to get nice and smooth, as why take all that time and effort to get one part of the door nice and smooth when other parts are letting it down? The long and short of it was the fact that everything below the coach line would have to be rubbed down, filled , flatted, and painted. Which kinda rendered my original idea of using that door pointless. But I still took it out to the car and trial fitted it. Hmmmmm It sits about 1.5mm too far in on the leading edge, top and bottom, which would mean a little redress of the hinges... Or I put the skin on too close to the frame. I did match up the holes i had drilled perfectly, but I guess the heat could've pulled it in, or it could have moved... either way it didn't look right....so I refitted the spare door..... Oh well...it was fun playing around with it...sort of....:)

I guess I will be painting soon then :(
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:01 am

It's really east for things to just move a little bit when you're doing a repair like that, but the trouble with a door is it's a big old thing to keep fitting and removing to check. Principle is great though - I have a few doors I want to repair when I have a bit of spare time, and I regret scrapping the original doors off my Firenza which, with hindsight, would have been easily repairable. It's always worth having a go.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby lord13 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:14 am

Having a few issues just lately, I'm just not feeling the HA love, which is a shame, but there it is. I keep missing my CF, or any commercial vehicle ... and I know this sounds a little daft but I cant see the point in spending all this time and effort on something that as an 'end product' I won't get much use out of... I really am missing the practicality of my CF and really wish to go down that route.

So...

Possibly for sale... open to offers ( I've not made a proper advert as I don't want any tom, *Bleep* or harry having it, I just want those that are interested in it to apply as it were... anyone trying to make a quick buck will not be entertained )

1965 HA SL as detailed in this thread, running and driving, starts on the button, brakes work ( although could do with a proper bleed), new alternator, Rad is leaking, has a tendency to overheat but I've took the 'stat out for now, interior needs a tidy and a repair on the rear cards, column switch is loose, all electrics work apart from the headlamp flasher and the horn ( could be the dodgy switch ). Engine revs sweet but is a bit 'rumbly' and sounds like a bag of bolts on tickover.

Spares in addition to the complete car:
Passenger door ( not great repair but workable )
Boot lid
windscreen
Rear axle
gearbox
dash ( not SL )
Weber twin choke manifold
2 x sets of hubcaps ( one correct SL set )
4 x 12" banded steels
1 x 1057cc engine in bits ( pistons seized in block)
1 x 1256cc engine in bits ( needs rebuild with new rings etc)

Plus various other odds and sods

Word of mouth advert... it is only a possibility of sale not a definite... ( the right deal more important than the right money . . . we're all friends here right?).

P.M. Me ...or don't ... it's your choice, I'm not about to ebay it or anything like that... it can stay here for as long as it likes, I may even do some work on it :)

Oh, Nothing is for sale separately, it's a 'job lot' or not at all, If I keep it I'll need all the bits, and if I sell it, I don't want to come across something in my shed in the months to follow and sigh wistfully wishing i'd kept it ok?
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Bob perry » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:41 am

p.m. sent
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby psl » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:45 pm

Bummer on the possible sale but if your heart be elsewhere, then go with your heart.
I'm taking a sabbatical from any kind of classic for a year. And like any junkie, going cold turkey is chuffing hard.
psl
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:40 am

psl wrote:Bummer on the possible sale but if your heart be elsewhere, then go with your heart.
I'm taking a sabbatical from any kind of classic for a year. And like any junkie, going cold turkey is chuffing hard.

Oh Mr. L. why oh why would you take a rest from all the heartache, trauma, and expense of running a classic??? you live and breathe nasty old rusty piles of poo :wink: :wink: :wink:

I totally get it, I was trying to think why I have changed so many cars over the past year or so ( not that I didn't change cars often anyway :wink: ) we narrowed it down to one incident back in 2016, namely the sale of the CF.

We had booked a week in the lake district, and funds were tight, the CF wouldn't've passed it's M.O.T. and we needed a 7 seater at least to comfortably drive up there and around the rolling hills of cumbria with all the tribe and dogs that were coming with us...so the CF went up for sale... but, as luck would have it, I managed to get a big job done before the holiday and could afford to get a zafira on the cheap. Which meant I didn't need to sell the CF, but I was already in that 'zone', the 'sell my car and buy another' zone that causes a sort of narrow vision cloud to descend ...you know the one...it gets you too :wink:
Anyway I sold/swapped the CF for that auto MKII cav that caused me so much trouble, so I sold it and bought the model Y( after giving some cash to the wife) which I broke and bought the HC estate, which I sold, split the profits between myself and the wife again, and bought the HB....which I swapped for the Magnum, which I sold , split the profits again with the wife and bought the Auto fusion and the HA.....
And all because I didn't need to sell the CF but went ahead with it anyway because of the 'zone'....

So... I'm never happy with what I buy because A) it's not a CF ( or the CF) and B) it's not a white 2 door HB SL shell ( yes that old chestnut.... my first car) ...

Or it could be something else....you know I regret getting rid of every single car I have ever owned ( with the exception of that god awful white savanna estate I had in 2003 ) :D
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby psl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:32 am

I've got the Picasso, that covers everything lol
psl
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:48 am

psl wrote:I've got the Picasso, that covers everything lol

...apart from looking nice on your drive :)

I know what you mean... My Fusion ticks all the boxes too, it's the second one I've owned and it just does everything I need it to, makes me wonder why I bother with some rusty old tat considering none of the kids like the old cars and the wife can take 'em or leave 'em.... :D
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby psl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:42 pm

Whatever old car I get, its not cool enough. As soon as I say Mercedes they all love the idea, they soon change their mind when I show them a picture of a 190e though. There is definitely something fascinating about rust and cheap motors that i find im drawn to. The other half has her new toy, so that should keep her happy.imminent shorter daylight hours will put pay to any free time of tinkering untill spring time. A purchase of fun shall be deemed a necessary requirement in Feb / Mar when everything is cheap
psl
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration