Lockheed rear brake shoes... confusion!!

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Lockheed rear brake shoes... confusion!!

Postby sebwarner1984 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:43 pm

I recently bought a set of rear brake shoes for my Viva HC L 1979. When I tried to fit them at the weekend I found there to be some differences to the ones fitted. The new brake shoes seemed to be missing two holes which take the c-clips that come through at the top and middle of the front side brake shoe.(see first image) Not sure what this is for.
Does this mean I have the totally wrong brake shoes for my car?? They were sold as correct for my model viva. (Second image of the new brake shoe)

Also the slave cylinders on both sides of the car aren’t moving when I push the brake lever. Is this them seized up? I have bled the brakes but still no movement in the cylinders.

Thanks in advance for your help

Seb

4025597B-EF65-4104-B5BA-1823B87C302B.jpeg
Image 1
4025597B-EF65-4104-B5BA-1823B87C302B.jpeg (49.73 KiB) Viewed 1154 times

9EB11235-08D9-4C23-BEF7-462EA5A044F5.jpeg
Image 2
9EB11235-08D9-4C23-BEF7-462EA5A044F5.jpeg (35.24 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
sebwarner1984
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Lockheed rear brake shoes... confusion!!

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:38 pm

If the cylinders don't move when you press the brake pedal, then they must be seized up if fluid is getting through for you to bleed them. If you pull the dust covers away, can you see any suspicious rust or gunge in there? If they're not *very* seized, sometimes tapping the piston can free it up. Watch you don't go too far and have them pop out though, as you'll get fluid everywhere.

Not sure about the shoes, I think OHC ones are different. Main difference on mine are that the cylinder is on the bottom. Are your self-adjusting? Was there a number on the packaging? Might be able to figure out whether they're the correct ones from that.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby ADRIAN » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:54 pm

The shoes you have bought are for Lockheed FRONT drums. You can fit Lockheed rear shoes to the front but never fronts on the rear as there are missing holes !
Also, the Lockheed rear brakes you have, appear to be "manual" adjusting type, (up to 1973) and the cylinders you have are for the later self- adjusting brakes. (Slots in the piston tops) Manual adjusting cylinders have flat tops to the pistons, as they are allowed to move slightly, whilst the self adjusting pistons have a slot in the top of the pistons to hold onto the shoes securely, so that the shoes are held firm so that the self adjusting mechanisim works correctly. The only "visual" difference of the cylinders between the small brakes on the 1256cc and the larger brakes on the OHC is that the cylinders have a slightly larger body on the OHC type and the pistons inside the cylinders of these are not only very slightly larger but they also have a slightly deeper travel inside the bore, The extra capacity is order to be able to push the larger shoes.
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby sebwarner1984 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:26 pm

Thank you both for your advise and help. I’ve managed to return the brake shoes I had and got a full refund. :lol:
I will be having a close look to see how seizes the slave cylinders are and consider replacing them. I have spares already. Thanks again. Seb
sebwarner1984
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:57 pm

ADRIAN wrote: Also, the Lockheed rear brakes you have, appear to be "manual" adjusting type, (up to 1973) and the cylinders you have are for the later self- adjusting brakes.

Looking at the top photo and knowing your car is a late model ('78 - '79?) I'd say you've got the later OHV self-adjusting brakes.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:04 pm

The picture does show that the brakes are Auto adjust by the shape of the retainer at the opposite end to the cylinder - auto adjust are a pain in the *Bleep* :roll:
You need to get shoes for auto adjust
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Return to Mechanical