Starter motor

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Starter motor

Postby Johnboy HB » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:42 pm

Thinking of putting a Chevette pre engaged starter motor in my estate with a 1256 late Viva engine, the main reason is that the ring gear is quite worn from the inertia starter motor but as the pre engaged starter operates from the other side, it will operate on 'fresh' teeth, thoughts anyone ?
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Starter motor

Postby Fred Dukes » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:42 pm

have you got a 6 1/2" clutch or 7 1/4" - I have some various fly wheels in the shed which may have a better starter ring if you want to go that way - if you already have engine and gearbox fitted I can find a solenoid starter motor which you could try - suck it and see :P
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Johnboy HB » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:02 pm

Thanks for the offer Fred but I think I'm sorted now. Going to fit the engine & box so wondered whether it's a straight forward swap, anyway, managed to get a pre engaged starter this week & tried it out, I'm using the larger flywheel & clutch that came with the engine & the 1159 gearbox, I'd read on here before that you have to grind some metal off the bell housing to allow for the bigger clutch so I did this & bolted it all together, I also had to grind a little metal away where the starter enters the bell housing as one of the screws in the starter was stopping it fitting, the only other problem was the engine mount fouled the starter but the HC mount fits just needed to re-drill it to accept the HB mounting rubber, going to fit it tomorrow hopefully & will take some pictures
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:57 pm

some pics
its in the car now & works well :D
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:30 pm