Is this for real?

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Re: Is this for real?

Postby Colin » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:28 pm

Mitch, I certainly don't want to cause ANY offence to you or to your family or to anyone of any nationality.

To put it into perspective this was a little light hearted fun around the German fondness for stringing words together into, in this case, humorous onomatopoeia (I never thought I would get to use that word!) but, if you genuinely find it offensive, then I would genuinely like to publicly apologise to you.

I have removed the two posts I added to the thread just in case they might have caused offence.
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:29 am

Thank you for doing that, I feel I must clarify the issue somewhat as I, myself, wasn't offended by the words as such, I just viewed it as a little childish.

However, In this day and age, and at all times for that matter, I believe that 'we' as a club, should not, under any circumstances, condone or promote any such behaviour that could cause offence or alienate anyone.

I do believe people should have 'thicker skins' and that offence is caused by such little things these days and people should just 'get a grip'. These comments, unfortunately, struck a nerve with me and I just thought I should point out that to someone reading it, it could have caused offence.

Despite 'everyones' [sic] greatest efforts just lately, we are part of a multicultural, multinational society, and should adjust our public behaviour accordingly.
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:49 pm

Ok Guys lets draw a line under this thread and get back to Viva-ing which is what this forum should be about :roll:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Colin » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:26 pm

Just one final thought, Mitch,

Please don't misunderstand me, I don't personally find your 'Lord 13' banner in the least bit irreligious or discriminatory against people of different faiths but I, as part of a multi-faith household, am feeling the squeeze a little bit more just lately, and these sort of things just make me and my family feel less and less welcome...

I feel I must clarify the issue somewhat as I, myself, am not offended by the words as such, I just view them as a little childish.

However, In this day and age, and at all times for that matter, I believe that 'we' as a club, should not, under any circumstances, condone or promote any behaviour that could cause offence or alienate anyone.

I do believe people should have 'thicker skins' and that offence is caused by such little things these days and people should just 'get a grip'. This banner, unfortunately, strikes a nerve with me and I just thought I should point out that to someone reading it, it could cause offence.

Despite 'everyone's' greatest efforts just lately, we are part of a multicultural, multinational and multi-faith society, and should adjust our public behaviour accordingly.

Thanks.
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:56 am

Interesting . . . Do you not like the particular Monster Magnet song ' Lord 13' ? ... It's on 'Tab . . . 25', a fairly rare CD EP that came out around the time of 'Spine of God'. Give it a listen, it's a fairly inoffensive little ditty . . . one of my favourites to be honest.

here it is....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCTnbTyVhJY

Please let me know what causes you offence about the wording and I will adjust it accordingly :D

ohh.... does that mean I will have to change my forum Name also?
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Colin » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:57 pm

No of course not, Mitch,

I don't find your username in the least bit offensive, and I certainly don't want you to take down your Lord 13 banner. But do you see the point I'm making?

I had never heard of Monster Magnet or the song Lord 13 (It's good though isn't it? I was getting some definite early Pink Floyd references there). So, the point is this -

If I were a bit religiously sensitive (I'm not) and having no knowledge of the harmlessness of the Lord 13 song I could quite easily jump to all sorts of wrong assumptions around some ignorant pre-judged demoniacal meaning to the name 'Lord 13' - and get my panties in a right old knot about it - couldn't I?

Such things have been known. Back in the 60s John Lennon made a slightly ill-judged comment about how the Beatles seemed to have become more popular in youth culture at the time than religion. What he mistakenly said was, 'the Beatles are bigger than Jesus.' It caused a right old kerffuffle - with thousands of people in the US burning their Beatles albums.

So, of course we have to be careful about what we say to make sure it's not offensive. But we also need to avoid hypocrisy.

I was watching the old 80s comedy series 'Allo Allo' on TV last night and I found myself thinking, should the show be cancelled because of its use of humorous names like 'General Von Klinkerhoffen'? or 'Yvette Carte-Blanche'? Of course not. And the Broadcasting Standards Authority obviously doesn't think so either.

So should we start getting all paranoid about a reference to some German words we find mildly amusing? I think not. I'm sure some English words are absolutely hilarious in German.

We must surely be allowed just a teensy bit of humour in our Viva-ing now and then, shouldn't we? :goodideasign:
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:13 pm

yes you are right i apologise ... that the end of it then?
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Colin » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:31 pm

Yes, that's the end of it. No need for apologies and rant over. :D

How's that '65 HA SL getting on? You haven't updated the resto thread lately?
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Previous

Return to General Discussion