HA healamps and side lamps

Adverts in this section of the forum are offered to all guests of the club and paid up members of the club. The parts offered are not the property of the Viva Owners Club club (this may include committee members selling their own private property).

Please follow the posting guidelines in the first Announcement post.

HA healamps and side lamps

Postby Bob perry » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:00 pm

I fully intended, this winter, to replace the headlamps in my HA with sealed beam units and twin filament side/indicator lamps with white lenses. The pre focus lamps don't give quite enough light for me!

Talking to my local MOT guy though he tells me that this set up only applied to HA's up to 1965, and that converting my 1966 model would make it illegal, on the white side light situation, and an MOT failure if I brought it in.

Yes, I know I don't technically need an MOT, and I could chance it, but I take one every year just for peace of mind!

I've therefore abandoned the idea, and will stick with the current set up, pre focus bulbs with side lamp integral to the headlamp, and orange glass single terminal indicators.
I could then investigate any pre focus adaptors for the headlight bulbs, if there is such a thing!!

So I now have a good pair of sealed beam headlights, with bowls and wiring and support rings, plus two double filament side light/indicator lamps with white lens. Side lamp housing and terminals are brand new, and glasses are in excellent order. All in fine working order.

If they are of use to any Member, they can be purchased, and I'm not asking a fortune, before I put them on e. bay.

p.m. me with an offer if interested.

Bob
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: HA healamps and side lamps

Postby 1972nail » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:55 pm

You could use a halogen conversion with integral side lights and orange bulbs in your clear indicators.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Bob perry » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:11 pm

I think I will have to go down the headlight bulb conversion route, and leave the current orange lens indicator in place.
The only reason I needed to put in a twin filament side and indicator assy was because the sealed beam headlight doesn't have an integral side light bulb. This would have meant a white lens for the side light.
This is what is not legal, so it has to remain orange lens/ single filament.
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:25 pm

You can get 7" halogen conversion kits with an integral side light. They are standard on a classic Mini. Or you could get Mini sealed beams which have the aperture for the side light. You'll need a headlight loom with a side light holder from a Mini for it to work OK - such as this one -

You then can use a single filament orange bulb with your clear indicator lens.

Here's a link to a 7" halogen conversion with a side light.

https://www.bowerspartsonline.co.uk/lig ... with-pilot
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Return to Parts for sale from private individuals (not club parts)