HOW OLD ARE YOUR TYRES

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

HOW OLD ARE YOUR TYRES

Postby Fred Dukes » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:24 pm

A good article in CCW this week about FBHVC survey into peoples understanding of tyre age. A 1/3rd of classic car owner don't know how old their tyres are :shock:
This is a bit worrying when the tyres are the things that connect you to the road and hopefully keep you on the sraight and narrow.
Tyres have a date code - 1st introduced in 1980s - 3 digits - and replace with 4 digits in 2000.
The article attached gives you explanation of where to find the code and how to interpreted it - digit 1 & 2 week of manufacture 3 & 4 year i.e. 08 = 2008 . IF you only have a 3 digit code your tyres are at least 18 yrs old so I would think seriously about replacement :goodideasign:
There is no legal age limit but as the article says the rubber hardens and the braking distances increase - worst case the internal walls start to break up (which you dont see!) and you can get a blow out.
Their benchmark of 10 years old would seem reasonable for road use - old should be perhaps ditched or kept for static shows etc.
Attachments
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Re: HOW OLD ARE YOUR TYRES

Postby VampireTigger » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:30 am

One of the first things I did with my blue saloon was replace the tyres. The red one I haven't hopefully the guy who sold it to me had left recent ones on it............ The blue estate will get new rubber as a part of the works I have planned for it, probably after it's been to the body shop.
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
Bouncing between Surrey & Dorset :D
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby craig12 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:01 pm

not sure with mine , when I got it off mitch it had the rostyle wheels on , but if I recall the previous owner had minilites on it which I would have thought would have had new tyres , unless he took em off before selling
craig12
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:41 pm

I'm doing some interesting research on this for an article in the Spring or Summer ReVival magazine.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Return to General Discussion