HC Door seals

Do you need help with your bodywork, Help is at hand

Re: HC Door seals

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:17 am

That's an interesting point David, I don't recall the origin of either of the doors on the Sportshatch, other than they are not the doors that were on it when I got it. The original drivers door is definitely fixable, the passenger side (where the tree landed) perhaps not so much.

When I have a minute I will have a look at how they vary. I recall when I fitted the seals back to the hatch, they seemed similar to when I'd done the job on the Firenza (which also doesn't have original doors, though one is from a Viva E coupe), but that was decades ago too.

So the next question Mike A is - do the seals work in terms of keeping water out? I have an issue on my car with water getting in under certain circumstances.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Mike Attew » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:26 am

I have had no trouble with water ingress, they seem to seal very well and the door shuts very snugly.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:57 pm

I have an issue on my car with water getting in under certain circumstances.

Is the leak at the top where the frame curves to the front? It will also give a bit of wind noise there too. The remedy back in the day and one i have used to good effect, is to wind the window down and bend the frame in slightly with a gentle pulling action with both hands.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:15 pm

I forget exactly where it was now - I've had a bit of "out of sight, out of mind" for the last few months while it's been in the shed. I have bent the frame in as much as I can, but I'm also trying to keep it fairly even along the length of the drip rail immediately above it, and level with the rear window frame. I did consider putting a length of plastic pipe under the "flap" on the top of the seal, just to bulk it out a bit.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:18 pm

I did consider putting a length of plastic pipe under the "flap" on the top of the seal, just to bulk it out a bit

You've just reminded me that I did something similar on a Laguna I had, except I used a strip of 3/4" wide 1/4" neoprene foam.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Previous

Return to Bodywork