HB estate

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: HB estate

Postby yoeddynz » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:58 am

Lovely colour. Keen to see how this comes out!
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Colin » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:12 pm

Superb, high quality workmanship John. It's going to be brilliant! :respekt:
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:48 pm

some more pics
took these a while back but couldn't find them to post, magically they have re-appeared :? , turned out well except for some more reaction in different places :? going to leave the paint for the time being & have been re fitting the running gear, I'm making some changes along the way to hopefully make it more useable, a later 1256 with accuspark ignition, pre-engaged starter, alternator & electric fan for starters & anything else I can think of as I go on
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby hbr341 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:04 pm

Hi John
Iam doing the same as you at the moment you are a bit further on than me ive got a 1968 HB SL all stripped to bare metal new sills all welding done one side and doors boot lid and bonnet in apoxy primer the filling and block sanding is taking ages I was lucky as mine has a very good shell next job will be to roll it on its side and remove the thick layer of under seal that Vauxhall applied 50 years ago ive found the best way to do this is a wood chisel and a small hammer comes off in big bits when I did the same job on my GT I used hot air gun lay under the car not a nice job.

Regards Chris.
hbr341
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:32 am

Not the best job removing underseal, the previous owner plastered it everywhere, used a hot air gun like yourself but its a messy job, Rebuilt the front suspension
was in quite good order so only replaced what needed changing, balljoints were ok so only changed the boots & re-greased, top arm bushes & tie rod bushes were replaced with superflex, new shocks & track rod ends
& renewed the pipework, cylinders & shoes for the brakes
Last edited by Johnboy HB on Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:46 am

Moving to the back, removed the shocks to find the nearside turret rusted through
although the drivers side is ok
was thinking of raising the ride height a bit but i'll look into that sometime in the future
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:38 pm

You can raise the ride height at the rear quite easily. There are various length Audi TT / VW Golf springs which can be fitted. If you go for variable rate ones then you can have a subtle ride like standard with extra load carrying capacity when needed. A bit of research will throw up suitable choices.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Johnboy HB » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:22 am

I have some Astra rear springs that I'm going to try out, & I think you've mentioned before about using BMW rear springs but it's the front springs I'm not sure of, thought of using ohc springs as with less weight to carry, they should lift the front up enough but maybe at the expense of a hard ride
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:33 pm

You're right, I did mention BMW springs before and you did mention that you were trying Astra springs. Apologies, I'd forgotten. I've since found that the Audi TT / VW Golf have quite a wide range of spring lengths, wire diameters and their springs are available in single or variable rates.

The Magnum front springs will raise it far too high and also give too much positive camber as well as a hard ride. Better to get a set of Snoot (HPF) specification springs made by South Yorkshire springs. They are export HC OHV spec and will give about an 1" higher without too much increase in stiffness.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Johnboy HB » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:28 pm

That sounds just the ticket, thanks for the advice David
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration