Registering 'Historic Vehicle'

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Registering 'Historic Vehicle'

Postby noel » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:22 pm

I have owned my VIVA HA since the mid seventies. I am trying to get it changed to Historic vehicle class so it gets free tax and mot exemption. I sent the V5 to DVLA, they sent back a letter asking for photos of: The registration number, the VIN plate and the stamped chassis number.

The Vin plate and number plate are easy, but where is the stamped chassis number? I have hunted the engine bay, looked along the edge of the screen/top of dashboard etc., but no joy. I have even looked in the genuine Vauxhall Technical workshop manuals, but no joy there either. Searched Google, asked MOT testers etc.

So, does anyone know where it may be found? or does it actually have a stamped chassis number?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
noel
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Registering 'Historic Vehicle'

Postby BobbyMel » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:00 pm

Don't think chassis were stamped back then, just had a plate pop riveted to the car body
HB 368

1970 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....114 BOB
1969 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....BDH819G
1968 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....BOB 33E
1968 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....NHA 764F
1987 - Austin Montego 1.6L....E375 JRV
1995 - Rover 216 Coupe....N622 VOA
BobbyMel
Top Viva Spotter

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:23 pm

That seems like a lot of work. When my Firenza became eligible, I just took the V5 to the Post Office and they did it all for me - changed it to "historic", posted the V5 off to be changed and issued me with a years free VED, all in a minute or so. I wonder why they need so much detail for this car?
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:40 pm

the VIN plate is the chassis number - sounds like you have got a newbee at DVLA - the date of registration on the original V%C should be enough to validate the change of taxation classification.
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby noel » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:49 pm

I tried a Post Office first, they told me to go to DVLA.

The letter that came back specifies photos of:
Vehicle registration number
Stamped in chassis number
Vin Plate and its location.

I guess I will just try sending two of those and say that I cannot find location of the stamped in number
noel
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:25 pm

I'd try a different Post Office, if there is one nearby. There seems to be different opinions in different locations.

If you're going to write back to the DVLA, I think it'd be better to say categorically that the cars don't have a stamped-in number - saying you can't find it gives them room to say "look harder" or put the ball back in your court somehow. But really, try another PO, it should be no more complex than asking them to change it.

ETA - not sure if things vary if the car has been off the road for a long time. The most recent one I've done was MOTed when I asked the Post Office to change taxation class, as it wasn't eligible for MOT exemption then.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby noel » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:50 pm

The PO I tried was a big one, and the girl seemed to try it every which way on the computer, but it actually said to go to DVLA. In any case I cannot go to another PO since DVLA now have my V5 (which was the old type with the tear off bottom section for new keeper) No it has not been taxed since the 80's and comes up as 'vehicle details cannot be found' on DVLA site (same as some other vehicles I still have lurking around) Anyway, I have sent in the pictures I have, so we will see.
noel
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:57 pm

I think you have the answer there - it is an old V5 which should have been changed when they updated to a V5C + it has not been on the road for so long DVLA have not got a record.
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby noel » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:10 pm

Maybe, but surely DVLA should automatically send out a new V5 if that is what is required, or is that expecting too much? This goes to prove what my dad always said: that DVLA have no clue as to the actual number of vehicles in the UK

The email address that dvla gave on the letter will no longer work after the end of march, *Bleep* and elbow spring to mind.

Anyway I have sent the pictures in.

Goodness knows what will happen when I want to do the same with my home manufactured car, which has been in storage for even longer, last time they sent an inspector to view it (1970 something)
noel
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:21 pm

I think that when the DVLA ( DVLC back then ) computerised their records back in the early 1980's, any car that had no movement on the system for a time afterwards, either taxed, or change of keeper, wasn't transferred from the old system & therefore ceased to exist, there is some way of finding the old records for your car if you know which district it was first registered, one of the members on here may know more than me
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to General Discussion