Cars registered in Canada - 1969

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Cars registered in Canada - 1969

Postby jpsmit » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:29 am

GM (Vauxhall) on either side of the pond doesn't seem to have no records or clue as to how many cars came to Canada - at least not specifically that I can find. I am most interested in GT's - which can only have numbered in the low 100's.

Contacted the Canadian Automotive Museum - who keep an archive. They sent me this yesterday. Not sure the company and they went out of business in '69 so it doesn't even help for my '70 car, But, looking at British GM and British F*rd - more came to Canada than I would have expected.
Attachments
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Re: Cars registered in Canada - 1969

Postby 1972nail » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:07 pm

13,570 That's quite a lot. I assume that it covers commercials as well, so would Bedford vans and lorries be in that figure?
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby jpsmit » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:26 pm

1972nail wrote:13,570 That's quite a lot. I assume that it covers commercials as well, so would Bedford vans and lorries be in that figure?

who knows? Probably not as it specifies passenger cars. I do wonder though if it includes Opel?
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby 1972nail » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:27 pm

I didn't see the 'Passenger Car' heading :roll:

Opel would have been made in Germany or Belgium and not listed as British so probably not included in those figures, unless they were exported from Europe via Britain.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby jpsmit » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:51 pm

1972nail wrote:I didn't see the 'Passenger Car' heading :roll:

Opel would have been made in Germany or Belgium and not listed as British so probably not included in those figures, unless they were exported from Europe via Britain.

I know but you know how it goes: American/Canadian, Irish/English/Scottish/Welsh, European/British, they're all the same! :roll: :mrgreen:
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby Colin » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:47 am

Just to unfortunately confirm your disappointment, J.P. The 13,750 British GM passenger cars shown on your 1969 chart as exported to Canada would all have been either HB Viva / Epic or FD Victor / Envoy Deluxe and SL models.

I don't think the Viva / Epic GT was exported to Canada until 1970 model year, and I don't think the bigger PC Cresta / Viscount went to Canada at all (GM already had plenty of bigger cars on offer in Canada).

So, exactly as you say, only a few hundred of the 4606 Viva GTs produced would have been exported to Canada, making yours a rare survivor indeed!

How is your GT coming along? We haven't seen any updates on your restoration thread recently. Any more pictures or news? :D
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jpsmit » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:18 pm

Colin wrote:Just to unfortunately confirm your disappointment, J.P. The 13,750 British GM passenger cars shown on your 1969 chart as exported to Canada would all have been either HB Viva / Epic or FD Victor / Envoy Deluxe and SL models.

I don't think the Viva / Epic GT was exported to Canada until 1970 model year, and I don't think the bigger PC Cresta / Viscount went to Canada at all (GM already had plenty of bigger cars on offer in Canada).

So, exactly as you say, only a few hundred of the 4606 Viva GTs produced would have been exported to Canada, making yours a rare survivor indeed!

How is your GT coming along? We haven't seen any updates on your restoration thread recently. Any more pictures or news? :D

You are correct (so far as I know) that it was only 1970. Guy Turner and I reckon that no more than maybe? <maybe> 200 or so cars. Though I have to say I am not 100% convinced that the LHD export cars are included in the 4606 - I have no proof and so far no way of finding out but, UK cars all have 93711 as the first five VIN numbers and Canadian Cars (at least) have 93731 as the first five numbers - is this significant? I don't know.

No, alas, not much to report on the GT - and by not much I mean nothing - it sits and quietly judges me every time I go into the garage. In my (feeble) defense, it was a cold and cr*ppy winter and, what time I had went to house repairs and renovations. Spring is finally springing (though still just single digit temperature highs next week) :roll:

In other news I am off tomorrow to pick up car number 4 :rolleyes: another project - a 1930 Austin 7 Boat tail tourer. The fellow I am getting it from drove it on his honeymoon (he turns 80 this summer) and it has been in pieces since he brought it to Canada in the 60's. SWMBO has noted my distinct lack of storage space. (The Fiat is still in a friend's barn and I have too much construction material to even get the MG out of storage.)

But I'm not addicted. :mrgreen:
Attachments
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby Colin » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:17 pm

I don't know whether the Heritage centre might be able to shed any light on the number of Canadian GTs produced? I will ask at the next open day at the beginning of June.

I know the feeling about burgeoning car collections J.P. Mine continues to grow too.

In the below pictures, Viva GT number 1 is now fully back together. I had to strip down and rebuild the engine due to a number of oil and coolant leeks. The engine was professionally rebuilt a few years ago with oversize pistons and bearings etc. The rebuild company did a good job - but they didn't seem to bother with any gaskets! - just using sealant everywhere! (Thanks for the rear main seal, David - purchased a few years ago and now finally used). It's also had a new clutch, engine mounts, some front suspension bushes and various other items refurbished.

Viva GT number 2 (1970 Mk II), just out of shot behind the gold FE and next to the silver VX Series 490, is still awaiting restoration, as is the silver VX 490. Meanwhile HB Viva SL number 3 (in good driving condition) is stored up the road at Fredshed.

I don't know when I'm going to get time to do all these cars, but I will get there one day! :lol:
Attachments
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to General Discussion