Which show to attend? Weston or Chetwynd

Tell us all about what's happening and what you did

Which show to attend? Weston or Chetwynd

Postby fistfullofV5's » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:31 pm

Hi all, as the title suggests I'm planning to visit a show on Easter Monday and am surprised that these two shows which are probably only 10 miles apart are clashing. Which would be the best one to attend as surely one will take exhibitors off the other?
Regards, Dave.
fistfullofV5's
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Which show to attend? Weston or Chetwynd

Postby cooperman » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:01 pm

Hi Dave,
We had a stand at Weston today and whilst the weather was excellent the organisation was lacking. That said a good turnout of cars of all makes and ages, autojumble not great unless you own a F**d, but a very enjoyable day.
Can't comment on Chetwynd Deer Park but Fred is going in his new purchase.

Some boring info... apparently Weston told Gemini events that they weren't holding a car show this weekend and so they moved to the Deer Park. Then Classic Shows announce that they are organising a show at Weston. Not great Planning but all in all a good show today
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby fistfullofV5's » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:24 pm

cooperman wrote:Hi Dave,
We had a stand at Weston today and whilst the weather was excellent the organisation was lacking. That said a good turnout of cars of all makes and ages, autojumble not great unless you own a F**d, but a very enjoyable day.
Can't comment on Chetwynd Deer Park but Fred is going in his new purchase.

Some boring info... apparently Weston told Gemini events that they weren't holding a car show this weekend and so they moved to the Deer Park. Then Classic Shows announce that they are organising a show at Weston. Not great Planning but all in all a good show today

Thanks very much for the info, I think I'll give Weston a go :thanx: Dave.
fistfullofV5's
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:01 pm

I was at the Newport Deer Park Gemini show today along with Roy Gaskill - Just across the road from me :P - neither of us were in Vivas but I was in the CA Woody Shooting Brake and Roy was in his Victor - he won the 50 - 60s Class and I came 2nd
- not a big turn out but quite an enjoyable day - lots of interest in the CA - sorry to have missed you Dave - if you went to Weston park I hope you were well away from the Ringmaster cos he got on my wick yesterday :roll:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby fistfullofV5's » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:18 pm

Fred Dukes wrote:I was at the Newport Deer Park Gemini show today along with Roy Gaskill - Just across the road from me :P - neither of us were in Vivas but I was in the CA Woody Shooting Brake and Roy was in his Victor - he won the 50 - 60s Class and I came 2nd
Deer Park 19 002.jpg
Deer Park 19 003.jpg
- not a big turn out but quite an enjoyable day - lots of interest in the CA - sorry to have missed you Dave - if you went to Weston park I hope you were well away from the Ringmaster cos he got on my wick yesterday :roll:

Fred, you were so right about the ringmaster, annoyingly pushy in his approach. I wish I'd popped over to see both you and Roy. Well done both of you. I think it was a big mistake to hold both shows simultaneously but I shall do all I can to avoid that bloke on the mike in future :lol:
Regards, Dave
fistfullofV5's
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:37 pm

Bank holidays always attract a number of shows that overlap, though as I recall those two were relatively close to each other geographically. I've been at Oulton Park today, watching the British GT championship, a nice contrast to last year when it threw it down all day.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Fred Dukes » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:16 am

Motorfest used to be at Weston Park but for whatever reason - and there seems to be various versions - Gemini (the organisers )and Weston Park parted company so Gemini found a new venue for Motorfest in Newport - the next thing that happened someone else - Classic Shows - was organising a show at Weston Park Over Easter- so that's the background to why there were 2 shows within 8 miles of each other - no one was going to win and both gates had to be diluted as there are only a finite number of exhibitors to go round.
The Weston Park organisation on the Sunday was poor as they had not marked any Club stand areas out so there was "survival of the fittest" rampant for defining your pitch - the arena presentation was loud and as you say the guy was pushy and rude at time - there seemed to be no other ring attractions other than the various classes being co-ursed into the ring. The ring presenter is not new and you will have come across him at any of the Classic Show events like Capesthorne Hall and events up the north west so beware Dave :lol:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:33 pm

Fred Dukes wrote:The Weston Park organisation on the Sunday was poor as they had not marked any Club stand areas out so there was "survival of the fittest" rampant for defining your pitch

We had an amount of that at Oulton Park, partly because we were expecting that (they don't mark pitches at the Gold Cup) though it turned out they *had* marked them, and the guy from the supercar was right. But he was very rude, so that didn't encourage us to listen much.

Fred Dukes wrote: - the arena presentation was loud and as you say the guy was pushy and rude at time - there seemed to be no other ring attractions other than the various classes being co-ursed into the ring. The ring presenter is not new and you will have come across him at any of the Classic Show events like Capesthorne Hall and events up the north west so beware Dave :lol:

That's strange - while the ring-master is always on the go at Cholmondeley, he never seemed to cross over into pushy or rude as I recall it. Perhaps he had a bad day, I'll report back from Cholmondeley if my pass turns up. See if he's in a better mood.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to Events