1256 HC Sump Gasket

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

1256 HC Sump Gasket

Postby vauxhallbitz » Wed May 08, 2019 12:55 am

How easy is it to change the sump and sump gasket with the engine in the car, I think I may have a cracked or rusted sump!!!
1958 CA Bedford Dormobile (Porthole)
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
1975 Vauxhall Viva E Coupe
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: 1256 HC Sump Gasket

Postby Johnboy HB » Wed May 08, 2019 8:12 pm

The problem is, the cross member is too close to the sump to just remove, you may be able to undo it & lower it enough to get it to clear after first supporting the engine or maybe even raise the engine enough to clear, haven't tried it myself so can't be sure
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Wed May 08, 2019 8:49 pm

I do remember considering it back in the 70's but can't remember if I tried it. In the end I had to replace the engine so it came out anyway. I think that it can't be done as the strainer and pick up pipe get in the way even though the engine is jacked up.

It might be easier to support the engine and drop the cross member to gain clearance. If you consider this route remember to be very careful mot to bend the steering column.

If it is only a pinhole in the sump it can be brazed in-situ. Just drain the oil first and remove the oil filler cap.

Many years ago a work colleague had an Imp, he punctured the sump a few days before going on a Continental touring holiday. A quick run to a welder and a spot of braze fixed it......or so he thought.

At morning tea break while the car was parked in the staff car park, just hours before departure that Friday evening, one of the pranksters in work who bore a grudge decided to wipe some oil on the newly brazed part of the sump, spill some on the wet ground below the engine and drip a trail from the car park gate.

Lunch time saw some frantic phone calls and trips to the Hillman dealers and local car breakers to track down a replacement sump and gaskets, then an afternoon spent below the Imp swapping over the sump with a couple of us concerned mates in attendance while the prankster sat looking out the window....

Needless to say the owner was less than pleased when he returned 3 weeks later to be told it was all a dirty trick. :imsmiling:
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby vauxhallbitz » Thu May 09, 2019 2:00 pm

Thanks for that, not sure if it is a pinhole or a cracked weld on the supporting bracket around the drain plug. In any case a I have to try and change it so will give it a go.......
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby vauxhallbitz » Thu May 09, 2019 8:03 pm

Well I have confirmed the sump is leaking around the bracket which surrounds the drain plug and looking at my old engine and sump it looks like the engine will have to come out again, deep joy!!!!!!
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby thomas » Thu May 09, 2019 10:50 pm

It's do-able in the alternative manner David suggests, leaving the engine in, and dropping the sub-frame. The fiddliest bit is the steering column to s/rack coupling, then it's just engine mountings, the four subframe mounting bolts and brake pipe connections. You'd need to support the front of the car itself at or forward of the gearbox/engine rear-support; axle-stands don't sit well here due to the angle between stands and underside necessary to get clearance at the front, and it isn't awfully stable, with a lot of overhang either side. Failsafe stacks of wheels/tyres are strongly recommended. Single-handed it would be difficult; another's assistance at some points is desirable. You can use this method while supporting the engine with a conventional hoist. With practice it can be done in 15 minutes.

Supporting the engine with a horizontal beam as in the pictures is obviously not recommended at all for body repairs or other work if the wings/inner wings aren't strong in the area under the supporting beam (it's a bad way to find out they aren't). These are more suited to use with strut type front suspensions which are much stronger by design in this area than the Viva.

thomas
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby vauxhallbitz » Fri May 10, 2019 8:57 am

Hello Thomas, thanks for that, I think I will just take the engine and box back out again it seems to be the best option.
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby vauxhallbitz » Sat May 18, 2019 9:37 pm

Changed sump last night, gearbox out, flywheel and clutch off, one engine mount off, engine jacked up and out it came. It was cracked at one of the spot welds, no rust surprisingly think the engine must have been dropped on the bracket at one time and it took the full weight and cracked the weld.

Original sump now fitted, so far no leaks, might make Sywell after all, fingers crossed!
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Tue May 21, 2019 9:16 am

:P :P :P
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby 1972nail » Thu May 30, 2019 11:11 pm

Just a thought. The bracketed sump appeared in 74-75 ish. That was the time of the crash test modifications, could be something related? Also there was a drive on in Vauxhall to reduce road and drive train noise, different subframe mounting bushes, harmonic balance weights on the OHV rear axle, possibly something there?

If it was the first reason I hope you never have to find out if it makes any difference, If it's the second I don't think you will notice any difference anyway.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Return to Mechanical