Clutch Problems

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Clutch Problems

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu May 16, 2019 8:51 pm

My workhorse HC estate tends to get a bit neglected - a while ago there was a nasty metallic scraping noise on each rotation of the engine when the clutch is depressed - this was indicating to me something metallic loose in the clutch department - due to other distraction this was ignore and then went away. Last week it was back so decided it was time to investigate - broken clutch plate spring or pressure plate finger broken off we favourites :roll:
Stripped the gearbox off - release bearing was not looking too hot but would not explain the clacking noise - pressure plate looked ok - clutch plate wearing thin on the flywheel side but all the springs were in place - spigot bearing looked ok too :wink: So nothing obvious :o
replaced the clutch plate and the clutch release bearing and started putting it all back together. When I was about to put the cover plate on the bottom of the bell housing to keep the dirt and road grim off the flywheel I noticed that the flywheel had been rubbing on the plate :shock:
Could this be the cause of the noises? - my thought is that there is end float in the crank shaft and that when the clutch release bearing engages with the pressure plate it pushes the flywheel forward thus rubbing on the cover plate.
I will leave the cover plate off initially and se if the noises have gone - if so then try putting the plate back and seeing if the noise returns :goodideasign:
Any thoughts on the situation will be welcome :P
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Re: Clutch Problems

Postby 1972nail » Thu May 16, 2019 9:12 pm

I think your diagnosis could very well be correct. When my late father-in-law ran a garage we had a similar problem with a Morris Marina 1300 he had taken in on part exchange. There was a grinding noise in the engine when the clutch was pressed and the alternator belt would squeal and chirp a bit. Crank end float was massive. We dropped the sump (very easy on a Marina) and the thrust washer on the crank had virtually worn away to nothing. A new thrust washer fitted and car sold......

We put it down to the car being used for a lot of town driving and clutch usage and probably the driver resting his foot on the clutch pedal constantly.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby cooperman » Thu May 16, 2019 10:23 pm

Sounds feasible Fred, good idea about leaving the cover off and seeing if the noise disappears.
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Colin » Fri May 17, 2019 3:58 am

The flywheel protector plate interference sounds likely, Fred. Let us know whether removing it made a difference?

I've been having a similar issue but the other way around - a constant but feint metallic noise when the clutch is released. ie, a noise in neutral that goes away when the clutch is depressed.

I assumed (never good to assume) that the clutch release bearing must be worn - so I changed it, but thinking about it, a worn release bearing would (like me) grumble under pressure, not when not in use, so it would be noisy when the clutch is depressed. No surprise then that changing it made no difference.

My engine had a bottom end rebuild about 2000 miles ago - so crankshaft end float really shouldn't be an issue. So now I'm wondering about gearbox bearings... :?
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Fri May 17, 2019 1:02 pm

I think you may be right - gearbox bearing sounds favourite.
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Return to Mechanical