Tracking for lowered cars

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Tracking for lowered cars

Postby edgoose1 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:10 pm

I changed the track rod ends on the Viva. I took it down too get the tracking checked but was told it sits too low. You need the old style tracking equipment with mirrors. Anyone know who has these ?
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: Tracking for lowered cars

Postby Mike Attew » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:25 pm

I bought a Trackrite Guage in the 70's and I am still using it on my classics and modern cars. Great bit of kit. ATS used to use them for tracking at our local branch.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:50 pm

Yes, Trackrites are great. Demon Tweaks still sell them.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby edgoose1 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:01 pm

Ahh will check with ATS
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Bob perry » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:12 pm

Had a similar problem with my HA (not lowered), recently, after fitting new track rod ends and tyres. Local MOT guy couldn't do it and pointed me to the local tyre centre.
They only had digital set up, which used lasers on all front and rear wheels at the same time.
Flashing lights and red beams everywhere!!
At least I knew that the vehicle wasn't crabbing!!
Didn't have any reference to vehicles before 1970, so tried with a 1970 Viva but it didn't work, so could only offer to adjust the track to a dead straight measurement. No camber measurement available.
Accepted that as the vehicle would see very little use, and to keep an eye on tyre wear.
So far so good, and no drifting or noticeable tyre wear.
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:14 pm

Yes, I use a Trackrite as well. Mine was a lucky car boot sale find for a couple of quid.

You could always figure out how to do it with string, as people do.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:46 pm

droopsnoot wrote:You could always figure out how to do it with string, as people do.

I used a length of wood with 2 pieces screwed on at right angles and a couple of long decking screws when I first set up my car before taking it to my local garage to use his old Dunlop trammel mirror gauge. Even though I had told him I would adjust it myself I had to be quick to get under the car before him so keen he was to get a spanner on it!

Turned out to be only 1 mm or so out.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:27 pm

What I like about the Trackrite is that, because it checks tracking in motion, in theory that will take into account any wear in the suspension that static tracking won't.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Mike Attew » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:10 pm

Also with Trackrite use a similar thickness of plywood under the opposite wheel, you drive over slowly and use the handbrake to stop so you not only track the car moving but also with a driver so the suspension is loaded how it would drive.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 68 dave » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:26 pm

My local formula one tracked my hc the same as a Vauxhall chevette. Never had any problems that was 5 years ago.
68 dave
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to General Discussion