Petition against double vehicle tax on ownership change

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Petition against double vehicle tax on ownership change

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:37 am

If you want to protest that HMRC charge twice for vehicle tax on the month of change of ownership sign this petition
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/254014 -
This has been going on since 2014 and it is such a pain when you buy a car that you have to tax it before you can drive it - what is the harm in letting it run to the end of the month :roll: - and before you say " it is dead easy on line with a Smartphone" Adrian not everyone is as savvy as you :wink: or even has the technology :|
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Re: Petition against double vehicle tax on ownership change

Postby VampireTigger » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:11 pm

:P

:D
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
Bouncing between Surrey & Dorset :D
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:37 pm

Are not all Vivas now tax free? if so whats it gotta do with us?
pbottomley

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:57 pm

Do you have a day car?
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby GAV » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:52 am

Signed
GAV
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lord13 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:18 am

I don't see why this is an issue, it's only a couple of quid, £30 max per month, to tax online, and you don't usually have to pay until a couple of weeks later when the direct debit comes into play.
So the guy before you paid tax already for that month, oh well, he knew it was for sale, he could've sorned it, and if you wanted to drive it you will have to tax it anyway so you were going to pay the tax so what's the problem? YOU didn't pay twice did you?
Also, if you buy a car that is taxed, the tax status does not change until you submit the log book with a change of keeper or you tax it yourself. Until then it shows as 'taxed' so you can drive it home without a problem. If it is untaxed you simply do it online, either by smartphone or computer. If you don't have a smartphone, just do it by computer before you go to pick it up.

OK so the HMRC gets a few more quid out of everybody... well classic owners have had a few more tax breaks than everyone else with the re-introduction of a rolling tax exemption, so they will have to get that lost revenue back from somewhere, and this is a great money spinner for them. I personally think that if you rock the boat over this particular issue then we will lose the rolling tax exemption again. Let's think about it for a moment, this new rolling tax exemption was brought in under EU rule right? And come 31st of October, when we stupidly pull the plug, all EU rules and regs will be up for review won't they? Add to that the fact that this country will be going under financially and I think that the Government will be wanting to get all the money they can to keep afloat, so I wouldn't complain about this sort of thing for fear of losing the exemption tax break, they have to balance the books, so whatever they give to one, they take from another.
And above all, there are far more important issues to take up with the government, stop being greedy and quibbling over a couple of quid for tax when you buy a car, just factor that into your budget and take your medicine, some people can't afford to feed their kids, so don't witter over the odd twenty or thirty quid you have to shell out for tax when you buy a second hand car . . . it's petty.
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Colin » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:01 pm

Fully agree with you Mitch, but in Fred's defence he's only bringing it to people's attention.

With so far only 655 signatures this petition is stillborn anyway.
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:01 pm

slacktivism
pbottomley

Postby Fred Dukes » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:51 am

Not to worry Colin its in Mitch's nature to have a rant :lol: - at least it has promoted some discussion :wink:
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby lord13 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:20 am

Hey I wasn't having a go at Fred :) as he says...it's in my nature to have a little whinge about things... If I put away my soapbox I wouldn't have anything to do ;)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to General Discussion