Front shock absorber top bolt

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Front shock absorber top bolt

Postby Orrp01 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:32 pm

Stripping front xmember completely and as is normal there’s always one bolt that won’t shift. Top shock bolt is seized in the shock and is only turning in the bush. Any advice other than drilling the bolt out?
Philip Orr
Viva GT
Orrp01
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Front shock absorber top bolt

Postby Mike Attew » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:58 pm

Are you replacing the bush and shock, if so you could burn the bush away to get to the tube. The heat may well help removing the bolt.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:11 am

I've had them stick there before now, unfortunately the two choices seem to be heat or drill. At least if you have the cross-member out of the car access isn't a problem.

That reminds me I must grease all the bolts in mine this winter, it's been a while since I checked them.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Orrp01 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:53 am

I’ll try a bit of heat but looking like I’ll have to grind both ends off and drill out. It’s out and on the bench so shouldn’t be too bad, final famous words lol
Philip Orr
Viva GT
Orrp01
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby chopper » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:10 pm

Pretty sure when I did this job 30 years ago that I cross drilled (at 90 deg.) the bolt/bush with a smallish drill both sides and then deliberately forced the bolt to shear, locked the bush with some gripper device somehow and then sheared the other side, eventually prising all the bits out-but it was a long time ago!
chopper
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:07 pm

When I was building my car I soaked all my bolts for weeks in various oils and potions and still had to use a blow lamp on the top shock and top wishbone bushes. Propane was useless so MAP gas was used..... that and a BIG hammer certainly made short work of them!

Be careful using heat around the shock. I know that they are probably not gas filled unless they have been replaced but there is still a bit of pressure in an oil shock which won't like a lot of heat. The top bush isn't so bad as the oil filled bit is at the other end in a Viva suspension.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Orrp01 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:21 pm

Cut both ends off with the grinder and then drilled in far enough to let the shock drop out, wasn’t too bad after all.was more worried about the top wishbone bolts but they came out nicely, ty for replies
Philip Orr
Viva GT
Orrp01
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:56 pm

Lucky you with the top wishbone bolts :wink:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Return to General Discussion