Electric Fan

This is an area for discussion about modifications to Vivas.

Electric Fan

Postby Mike Attew » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:03 pm

Just wondering, today sitting in traffic in over 30 degrees heat water temperature kept creeping up. Has anybody fitted an electric fan to help? is it worth it?
If anybody has fitted one what make?
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Electric Fan

Postby 1972nail » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:58 pm

I fitted one to my OHC engine. I looked at Kenlow ones but decided to fit a cheap eBay one. By my reckoning I could replace a broken cheap one several times over for the for the price of a Kenlow. So far it has lasted 5 years trouble free. I also fitted a thermostatic switch and relay. The total cost of it all was less then £30.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Mike Attew » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:17 am

I used to fit Kenlowe to my old 70's Range Rovers, they were always expensive and I did look at their Website. They no longer make them for the DIY'er. I also always fitted the adjustable thermostat.
I think I will do this , it can't hurt to have a bit of help and there seems more stopped traffic nowadays.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:44 am

I also bought a cheap (under £15) infra red thermometer from Amazon and used it to set the switch on temperature instead of trusting the gauge on the dash.

I set mine to come on at around 92 deg C measured on the thermostat housing, to allow for a bit of overshoot while the fan starts to cool. The engine output continues to rise to near 100 deg for a while after the fan cuts in. Max running temp for a cast iron engine should be in the region of 105 deg C. Red on the gauge would be about 115 deg C.

To clarify, I don't have the standard fan fitted, just the electric one.

Don't forget that you need a 'pull' fan if you mount on the inside or engine side of the rad and a 'push' fan if mounted on the outside or grill side. Some of the cheap ones are non reversible.

Smaller ones draw about 12-15A whereas a larger one can draw as much as 20A. So you will need a suitably rated relay and fuse arrangement.

I had the car over at VBOA Sywell a few weeks ago, with quite a long stint on the M6 in almost stationary traffic. I noticed the temp rising quite a bit throughout the journey but it stayed within the gauge safe range. I just put it down to longer and hotter than usual driving conditions. On the way home it did the same, but this time I noticed that the fan wasn't cutting in.

At home I had look at the installation to check it over. Hmmm... the setting on the thermostat was up at max. I had the car out at a show a week or two earlier with the bonnet partially open. The thermostat knob is right beside the radiator in full view. I can only think that some idiot thought it funny to turn it up full. It will be re positioned when I get time.

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Mike Attew » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:17 am

Thanks for the reply, I have a infra red temperature gauge for checking these things. Funny thing seagulls hate them being aimed at them, they sometimes attack. :D

I will fit a push and leave the viscous in place to start with, I have ordered a fan and thermostat kit. I will have a fiddle when I get them. In traffic yesterday my gauge was very near the H but soon went down when moving. Problem is in traffic sitting idling the fan is idling and no air flow through.

I find now at shows you need to be present, my poor Moggy got a scratch down the door from a buggy which went to the undercoat, some people have no respect.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:49 am

Mike Attew wrote:I have a infra red temperature gauge for checking these things. Funny thing seagulls hate them being aimed at them, they sometimes attack. :D

Now that's something to experiment with when I have an idle moment. :wink:

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Mike Attew » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:12 pm

1972nail wrote:
Mike Attew wrote:I have a infra red temperature gauge for checking these things. Funny thing seagulls hate them being aimed at them, they sometimes attack. :D

Now that's something to experiment with when I have an idle moment. :wink:

We used these to check the temperature of pipes in the chemical industry and there were some seagulls on the pipe, they went crazy and attacked me and my mate.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Orrp01 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:34 pm

My intentions are to fit at least one when I get to that stage and remove the mechanical fan, must have a gander at yours sometime David
Philip Orr
Viva GT
Orrp01
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:59 am

1972nail wrote:I fitted one to my OHC engine. I looked at Kenlow ones but decided to fit a cheap eBay one. By my reckoning I could replace a broken cheap one several times over for the for the price of a Kenlow. So far it has lasted 5 years trouble free.

I have had a similar conversation regarding the thermostat on my "modern" Audi, with the general forum consensus being "fit a genuine Audi 'stat". My argument is (a) Audi don't make thermostats themselves, so you're only getting someone else's part in an Audi box, and (b) Audi want the best part of £40 for a thermostat and O-ring, versus £6 from a motor factor. As I don't pay labour to swap it, just the hassle, I can do almost seven cheapo ones for the same cost, so I'm not going to swallow the extra just for a fancy box. Oh, and for fact-fans - the thermostat in my "modern" Audi is the QTH102, 88-degree stat, same as it is in the Firenza. Last time I swapped it I was going to use one of the several spares I have for that, but I chickened out at the last minute and bought a motor factor one.

1972nail wrote:At home I had look at the installation to check it over. Hmmm... the setting on the thermostat was up at max. I had the car out at a show a week or two earlier with the bonnet partially open. The thermostat knob is right beside the radiator in full view. I can only think that some idiot thought it funny to turn it up full. It will be re positioned when I get time.

That's a similar story to a DSG member who showed his HS Chevette somewhere, and noticed in the queue on the way out of the venue that it was getting hotter than usual, only to find that the Kenlowe adjuster had been turned up to the maximum. The adjuster is a bit visible on Kenlowe as I recall, is there a way to remove the black plastic dial from the switch easily, and keep it somewhere in the car? You still have it if you need to adjust it while out, but it's not so tempting.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to Modifications