Help on wires

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Help on wires

Postby 68 dave » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:13 pm

Hi can someone help me. I need to know how to wire the block connector next to the battery, the one with 2 green wires and two brown wires one with a blue stripe. I took a photo years ago but the flash makes the wires all the same. Only got a couple of wires left to connect then hopefully I will try to start the engine after 36years. Davehc692
68 dave
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Help on wires

Postby 1972nail » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:28 pm

Do you mean the connectors for the fusible links?
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby 68 dave » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:06 am

Not sure the connectors with the large space terminals ,only had on some cars 1975 . I think this car has the high performance 1256 as it has the biggest crank and it is fitted with automatic big end shells from factory ,hard bits to find as being std fitting shells as crank was polished.
68 dave
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Mike Attew » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:03 pm

This is from a 72 so may not help as the colours are different to yours or I have the wrong part.
Attachments
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:10 pm

68 dave wrote:I took a photo years ago but the flash makes the wires all the same.

Could you post that photo, just so we're all sure exactly which bit you're talking about?

Also I presume you've had a look through the "Electrics" section in case a thread already covers it? What year / model is your car, if it comes to looking it up in the manual?
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 68 dave » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:47 pm

Hi Mike that's wrong it around the back of the battery 2green 2 brown wires. Two plastic mounts with 4 terminals .dave
68 dave
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:56 pm

That's the big fusible links. They have large spade connectors on thick wires, It doesn't really matter which way they go so long as you connect green wires to a brown ones. The brass connectors are just that - a connector, that's all.

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:03 pm

The service training manuals say that post 74 cars have 2 fusible links, one to protect the lighting circuits and the other to protect the rest of the wiring bar the starter motor.

The '74 wiring diagram shows both fusible links connected to the solenoid at one end and then to the two wires, one brown and one brown and blue. It doesn't give colours for the fusible links so they are the green wires you mention.

One end of the fusible link will have a large spade connector and the other will be a circular screw down terminal to fit onto the solenoid.

The brown and blue wire is for the lighting circuit.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to General Discussion