What does HC stand for

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

What does HC stand for

Postby edgoose1 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:11 pm

Been asked the question. What does HC stand for
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: What does HC stand for

Postby Kraken » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:39 pm

I don’t think it stands for anything really in the tradition sense. It could be interperated as “Viva, 3rd gen” in the way that an FD is a Victor 4th gen, and a PA is a Cresta 1st gen.

Where the H, the F, and the P come from I don’t know!

And why did Bedford jump from CA to CF?
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:26 pm

Kraken wrote:And why did Bedford jump from CA to CF?

There was a prototype CB van - I think it's on Vauxpedia.

ETA - looking elsewhere on that site, it seems that the "H" in Viva model designations is a continuation from the Vauxhall H10 model. Lots on there to read, but a lot of it in very hard-to-read format, for me at least.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby VampireTigger » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:41 pm

HC = Hotel California ;)

(think the correct answer was given earlier)
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
Bouncing between Surrey & Dorset :D
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Colin » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:08 am

If you scan over the chapter headings on the Vauxpedia website you can see how the model designations were broadly alphabetical from when GM took over the company in 1926, although oddly beginning with the S type, followed by the R and T and then the VX and VY Cadet.

The sequence then began again in 1933 with the ASY and ASX, BY, BX, BXL, then DX, DY and GY, GL etc. The missing letters in that sequence were later used for the C series vans, E series Cresta, Wyvern & Velox and F type Victor. Which brings us back to the H Type in 1937 followed by the I and the J.

After the war the HIY, HIX, I and J were replaced by the one size fits all L-type. The H type small car was then re-introduced fifteen years later in 1963 - beginning again with the HA.

It all sort of makes sense - if you close one eye, tilt your head and stand back a bit! :lol:

And I'm still not sure what happened to the K type...
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby StefanM » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:30 am

Bedford used K....
StefanM
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Bob perry » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:39 pm

Bedford trucks were K,M, and O, 27 or 28 H.P. ( Flat nose with a big bull bar Army use, then later long bonnet round nose ones), then R and S type 300 ( beautiful engine) and then TK and finally TM which were mostly used by the military.

I started work at 15 for a Company rebuilding Bedford 28HP cast Iron clutches, still remember the part number 1043151 ..indelibly engraved!!
Really heavy things. Had to put a huge frame over the cast housing, and wind down a big thread to detent the springs before lifting the case off and removing the individual springs, reface the disc face and replace new springs.
No chucking away like they do now!!

Same Company used to recondition TK steering boxes as well 7167342, and those remote gearboxes.
Never got involved with them they WERE bleep heavy. 'T' bar on the top for the long remote shaft forward to the tilting cab. Took two blokes to lift one of those boxes, no carrying cradle equipment then !!
God I'm getting old.. don't answer that!!
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to General Discussion