HC front seats

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

HC front seats

Postby cooperman » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:27 am

Hi all, how many types of front seat were fitted to the HC? on my '77 estate I have a raised box section welded to the floorpan on the sill side where the seat runner mounts and the base stays put but the back tilts forward. On the project car (no seats with the car) there is no welded box section so I assumed they were the tilt type where the base tilts forward via a bracket bolted to the floor at the front of the seat. But there are no holes in the floorpan in that area. I have 2 holes parallel with the transmission tunnel and 2 holes parallel with the sill in the same area as the '77 car. Am I missing something? (a mounting frame for early seats?) Any pics or info please. Thanks
Marcus
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: HC front seats

Postby 1972nail » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:36 pm

The early seats do not have the mounting panels that your later car has. They tilt on a simple hinge arrangement where the front tube of the seat frame rests on the floor and is held in place with a bolted down saddle arrangement. The holes parallel to the sill were for the securing catches to clip on to. All much the same as Morris Minors.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby cooperman » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:40 pm

Thanks David, the project car which is a '72 SL, has 4 holes in the floor pan but there are 2 by the sill and 2 by the transmission tunnel (in the same areas as the later car), I can't see any holes nearer the front middle of the floorpan where the saddle would bolt through. On the later car the seat runner on the sill side bolts through the box section rather than the floorpan. Is the floor pan / transmission tunnel on the OHC different from the OHV meaning that the runners would need to be raised, hence the box section?
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:08 pm

The later (post 73) cars used different seats with a fold forward back. The early seats were fixed back and the four holes you mention is for the saddle to bolt around the tubular seat frame. The 2 down each side are for the latch to keep the seat from tilting forward in an accident. They were just long u shaped bars. I'll try to find a photo.

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:18 pm

Email sent...

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby cooperman » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:40 pm

Got it thanks
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Mike Attew » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:52 am

You all sorted or would you like a picture of the early seat fitted?
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:33 pm

Mike Attew wrote:You all sorted or would you like a picture of the early seat fitted?

Thanks Mike, I sent Marcus one by email. I think he's OK.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby cooperman » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:04 pm

Thanks for the offer Mike but David sent me a picture showing the hinge saddle and the floor plates where the seat sits. I understand it now. Thanks both.
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to Restoration