Rusty Cylinder Block

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Rusty Cylinder Block

Postby edgoose1 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:18 pm

I have the Firenza back . Was in for the clutch all changed and no problems. While the car was there the garage told me the core plugs were leaking. They have been changed now. He should me the old ones he took out and they were bad. He told me the Cylinder block is badly corroded Liners have rust. I did have the head off and converted to unleaded by someone one else ... is there any advise about the block. Or will it be a new block needed eventually. I was going to change the water pump and radiator and flush it all out again.
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: Rusty Cylinder Block

Postby 1972nail » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:50 pm

I assume the rust is not in the cylinder bores. I've never heard of a block or liner rusting through so I wouldn't worry about it. Make sure you use s good quality antifreeze with corrosion inhibitors. Use the max recommended strength to gain maximum protection from further corrosion.

When the core plugs were replaced did they change the one behind the flywheel? It's often overlooked and is usually one of the first to go.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby edgoose1 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:00 pm

1972nail wrote:I assume the rust is not in the cylinder bores. I've never heard of a block or liner rusting through so I wouldn't worry about it. Make sure you use s good quality antifreeze with corrosion inhibitors. Use the max recommended strength to gain maximum protection from further corrosion.

When the core plugs were replaced did they change the one behind the flywheel? It's often overlooked and is usually one of the first to go.

Thanks for that. He changed the 3 below the exhaust manifold he did say they were the only ones that needed changing. I know there was lot of rust in the system as it was stood 5 years before i got it ( Yes will drain the system again of cause when i change the water pump at thermostat at the same time
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 68 dave » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:01 pm

I use distilled water with anti freeze as does not fur up the water ways. Coolant stays clean for years. Hope this helps. Dave
68 dave
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby edgoose1 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:15 pm

68 dave wrote:I use distilled water with anti freeze as does not fur up the water ways. Coolant stays clean for years. Hope this helps. Dave

thats i good idea
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to General Discussion