My Austin 7 - Vauxhall Connection

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

My Austin 7 - Vauxhall Connection

Postby jpsmit » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:07 pm

My Austin 7 came with the original license plate - MW 6137 still attached. Recently on another forum there was a link to the Kithead trust

http://kitheadtrust.org.uk/ transport archive, Turns out the MW prefix is a Wiltshire car and today from the Wiltshire & Swindon Historical Society I received this:

‘MW 6137; Skurrys – written in pencil; A.H. Graver; Savernake Forest; Marlborough; Car Austin; 31/01/1930’.

So, I have the first registration of the car! Hurray Also, the dealer, Skurry's of Swindon sold Vauxhall, Opel, Jaguar and Rover. (at least by the 40's) -anyone know anything about them?

There is something to be said for leaving the plate with the car rather than the owner as they do in North America

amazing!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Re: My Austin 7 - Vauxhall Connection

Postby jpsmit » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:59 am

So a little more info:

Skurry’s were indeed the dealers. The 1931 Kelly’s Trade Directory Lists:

‘Skurry’s Ltd.; Motor & Automobile Engineers, Car Agents & Garage, 30 & 32 High Street, Swindon.

The directory also lists the owner:

‘Arthur Herbert GRAVES, Durley, Savernake Forest, Marlborough’.

so yes, A.H. Graver is actually Arthur Herbert Graves the owner of the dealership.

and,

A. H. Graves ( not Graver ) Arthur Herbert. Born 26.08.1895, died 29.03.1966, leaving an estate of £2955 ( £56K today )

1939: described as an agricultural estate agent, living at the Durley Estate Office, Durley House, Marlborough.

very fun!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Return to General Discussion